SASS Wire Forum

1851 Navy gun kit

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Okay, so what do I look out for when "building" and finishing this kit. I got it for my son and I to do some bonding. It is an old Euroarms kit, loats of casting "lips" to cut and surfaces to polish. Looking at using a dremel for a lot of it. Any suggestions, hints, or tricks you all have used in building them? Thanks in advance.

Nimble Fingers

Use Files they are the Craftsmen's tool !!!! And a Smith's mainline tool along with proper Screwdrivers ....

When I started we used only hand tools in training ...

Learn to use files ,papers, how to polish ,,,,, Then and only then resort to the dremel ...

Jabez Cowboy

Depending on you skill level, I would consider throwing it out and buying a completed gun and some caps and balls and going to the range to bond with your son.:lol:

Howdy Nimble.

I think that is a great idea! But then again I'm a card carring tinkerer. Just read a little, naw, read alot, either put you dremmel tool under lock and key or just throw it away. :rolleyes:

Find a source where you can get extra parts, get a good set of files, punches and did I say read alot and ask questions, alot of questions? Don't get ahead of yourself. Your project should have a definate order/procedure to it. Don't jump around. Do one thing at a time, go slow, real slow cause if ya ain't got time to do it right ya won't have time to do it over. That's why most of us have a big a&* box of used everthing laying around. Plan the work space, see the ruger video on Vaquero dissasenbly for tips. Larson P has gave me some great help/info in the past and I think most all info you might need is right here on the web.

I ain't no expert but I must say doing these sort of projects helps one truly know/understand their stuff.

WARNING: LOTS OF BAD LANGUAGE, TIME HUNTING, EXTA $$, FRUSTRATION, BUT DAMN REWARDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to you and your son...

HH :FlagAm:

Archived