SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rifle Caliber Lever Action Rifle

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

How are the six people to be shot chosen? :o Inquiring minds want to know! Right Beady? ;)

They take the "Short" ones first.... always the short ones!

sb ;)

Yep!!! Them that's Short on Looks !!!

Short of Ammo!!!

Short of Sense !!!

An Short of Time !!!

An thems that's shorter than 6 foot !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Almost all of the commemoratives are 20" or 24" barrels, as is the 336CB (24").

Out of seventy one versions listed HERE, only six were available with 26" barrels. Four are listed with 16" barrels, and all the rest are 20" or 24".

You're right, of course... I failed to add "RIFLE" Commemoratives... (other'n those pesky "Short Rifles")! And, yes, that was the same reference I used to verify that the .30-30 rifles were of the 26" variety.

GCK; The answer to your question is so simple. A Winchester 30-30 has a 26 inch barrel, not 24 as many said. I have one made in 1906 and it holds 10 rounds of ammo. Winchester model 1894 came with 26 inch barrels until 1926-27 when they were discontinued.

The Commemrotives also had 26 inch barrels, along with short rifles, 20 inch barrels. Buffalo Bills (1968) has the most made and are still reasonable to buy. People sometime confuse Winchester 1892's 20 and 24 inch barrels with Winchester 1894s 26 inch barrels because they are not main match rifles.

Hope this helps your friend make his choice.

Big Jake

I bought a set of Winchester 94 Legacy riles when they closed down 26 inch octogon barreled guns with factory tang sight. One in 30-30 and one in 38-55. I do not know how many are available but these seem to fit your interest.

A friend wants to get into long range cowboy shooting and wants to purchase the best gun for long range lever action rifle caliber competition.... I told him to find a rifle in a lower recoil caliber like 30-30 or 38-55 that will still hold 10 in the magazine. Most of the 38-55s have slightly shorter barrels and consequently shorter mag tubes. He is having difficulty finding such a rifle. Recommendations?

I agree with the previous comment. a 38-55 Winchester Model 1894 with a 26" octagon barrel, should fit the bill. The 38-55 is a NICE easy cartridge, either smokeless or with black and that rifle with a tang sight has a very LONG sight radius.

Regards,

Willie Earp

I won't recommend here, but I'll state. . . I won the long range side match at Fandango with my Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 stoked with Big Lube®LLC bullets over a compressed charge of FFFg Swiss. This has proven to be one of the most consistently accurate rifles on my rack.

FWIW, I use fire formed 30-30 brass and it works just fine.

DD-MDA

So far no good ten shot mag recommendation rifle in 38-55 or 30-30. Maybe I missed it. Looks like at least a 28 inch barrel/mag is needed for ten 2.5 + inch OAL rounds and still have a mag tube spring and follower.

So far no good ten shot mag recommendation rifle in 38-55 or 30-30. Maybe I missed it. Looks like at least a 28 inch barrel/mag is needed for ten 2.5 + inch OAL rounds and still have a mag tube spring and follower.

As I said in my earlier post...All Original Winchester 1894's made from 1895-1927 had 26 inch barrels. Heavy round or Octagon. Model 94's made in 1894 were 25-35 or 32-40's. 30-30 came out in 1895 and continue to this day. They will hold 10 rounds in the mag tube.

The first few years of the Winchesters Commemrotives 1966-67-68-69-70 have 26 inch barrels also and will hold 10 rounds. Most are in 30-30 caliber, some in 38-55.

Big Jake

The 1970 Winchester Lone Star has a half mag, but can be changed. 26 inch barrel in 30-30.

The first few years of the Winchesters Commemrotives 1966-67-68-69-70 have 26 inch barrels also and will hold 10 rounds. Most are in 30-30 caliber

Plus 1 ... for the 66 Centennial 30-30 with 10 rounds in the tube. A Williams peep sight on the receiver and your good to go

Archived