SASS Wire Forum

Holiday Meal Traditions

Rufus Brady

My wife and I started a tradition years ago when we first got married that we have game each

Christmas Eve. We felt that it was a way to show appreciation for the Creator's bounty. One

year, we had to resort to some albacore I had caught due to unsuccessful hunting that fall.

There is also a German tradition that, at midnight, domestic animals are given the ability to speak

and sing praises of the Child. So, each of our "children" are given a full plate, as well.

This year, I am cooking (all day) Hungarian goulash made with pronghorn. It will take toasted & ground

caraway seeds, two kinds of paprika, hours to simmer. Will make home-made noodles or spaetzel to go

with it. :D

What do you guys do?

My wife and I started a tradition years ago when we first got married that we have game each

Christmas Eve. We felt that it was a way to show appreciation for the Creator's bounty. One

year, we had to resort to some albacore I had caught due to unsuccessful hunting that fall.

There is also a German tradition that, at midnight, domestic animals are given the ability to speak

and sing praises of the Child. So, each of our "children" are given a full plate, as well.

This year, I am cooking (all day) Hungarian goulash made with pronghorn. It will take toasted & ground

caraway seeds, two kinds of paprika, hours to simmer. Will make home-made noodles or spaetzel to go

with it. :D

What do you guys do?

Goulash recipe please! Would be substituting whitetail or red deer venison for pronghorn.

Traditionally, my family does a standing rib or some type of surf n turf.

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

* 4 cups onions, thinly sliced

* 1 tablespoon sugar

* 3 garlic cloves, minced

* 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground

* 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika

* 1 teaspoon spicy paprika

* 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram leaves

* 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves

* 1 bay leaf

* 3 tablespoons tomato paste

* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

* 4 cups chicken stock

* 2 1/2 pounds beef shank, cut into 2-inch cubes

* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

* Spaetzle, recipe follows

Directions

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet and sharp paprika, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaf. Saute another minute, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef shank, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

(NOTE: (1) I simmer longer.

(2) I add sour cream as a thickener. Temper it, so it doesn't curdle by adding sauce to sour cream to bring it to room temp

Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with Spaetzle on the side.

Spaetzle:

* 4 egg yolks

* 1 egg

* 1 3/4 cups milk

* 1 pound (about 3 cups) all purpose flour

* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

* 1/2 cup peanut oil

* Salt

* Pepper

* 2 ounces unsalted butter

* 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley

In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolks, egg and milk. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix with hand until well blended. Do not overmix at this stage. Cover the bowl and refrigerate. Allow the batter to rest for at least 1 hour.

Bring salted water to a boil. Place a perforated hotel pan on top of the pot. Place the batter on the pan and force through the holes to form spaetzle. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until al dente. Transfer cooked spaetzle to a bowl of ice water to shock. When cool to the touch, drain well. Stir in half the oil. (At this point you can cover and refrigerate up to 2 days).

Over high heat, place a large saute pan until it gets very hot. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil and the boiled spaetzle. Saute until golden. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Finish with butter and sprinkle with parsley

We've adopted a couple of options. Either a fish fry or surf'n'turf. This year it's gonna be surf'n'turf. Prime steaks(usually either KC Strip or Ribeyes) grilled over charcoal(no lighter fluid!). Jumbo shrimp boiled cajun style. Baked potatos, mixed greens salad, skewers of grilled veggies. Not sure what Fannie has planned for dessert, sure it will be good. Merry Christmas to all.

We have been frying shrimp on Christmas Eve for 22 years. Our newest tradition (3 yrs running) is grilled steaks on Christmas Day instead of turkey - makes for a good meal & is a lot easier on the cook!

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

* 4 cups onions, thinly sliced

* 1 tablespoon sugar

* 3 garlic cloves, minced

* 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground

* 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika

* 1 teaspoon spicy paprika

* 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram leaves

* 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves

* 1 bay leaf

* 3 tablespoons tomato paste

* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

* 4 cups chicken stock

* 2 1/2 pounds beef shank, cut into 2-inch cubes

* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

* Spaetzle, recipe follows

Directions

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet and sharp paprika, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaf. Saute another minute, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef shank, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

(NOTE: (1) I simmer longer.

(2) I add sour cream as a thickener. Temper it, so it doesn't curdle by adding sauce to sour cream to bring it to room temp

Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with Spaetzle on the side.

Spaetzle:

* 4 egg yolks

* 1 egg

* 1 3/4 cups milk

* 1 pound (about 3 cups) all purpose flour

* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

* 1/2 cup peanut oil

* Salt

* Pepper

* 2 ounces unsalted butter

* 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley

In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolks, egg and milk. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix with hand until well blended. Do not overmix at this stage. Cover the bowl and refrigerate. Allow the batter to rest for at least 1 hour.

Bring salted water to a boil. Place a perforated hotel pan on top of the pot. Place the batter on the pan and force through the holes to form spaetzle. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until al dente. Transfer cooked spaetzle to a bowl of ice water to shock. When cool to the touch, drain well. Stir in half the oil. (At this point you can cover and refrigerate up to 2 days).

Over high heat, place a large saute pan until it gets very hot. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil and the boiled spaetzle. Saute until golden. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Finish with butter and sprinkle with parsley

Thank You!!!!!

Traditionally I make prime rib, but this year it's maple glazed ham. Traditional sides at my table are potatoes, yams, creamed broccoli, brussel sprouts, corn bread, buttermilk biscuits. Salads: Waldorf [apple] walnut, carrot/raisin, Ambrosia [cut fruits]. Desserts this year: Chocolate Cheesecake topped with fresh blackberries and jam, frozen Cranberry Meringue, raspberry Trifle, pecan pie bars, pumpkin ice cream, C'mas cookies.

New Year is my wife's birthday so that will be the day for the special feast. The menu planning is not complete but so far it includes a sirloin elk roast (bagged a month ago) and a homemade mincemeat pie using my sister's homemade mincemeat. There will also be a big crock pot of buffalo and Anazasi bean chili. I think this is a good start. I have some time to plan the side dishes. Some form of homemade bread will grace the table too. We'll enjoy a bottle of ten year old red wine from the Tularosa Vineyards (near Alamagordo).

Eat well and enjoy. I hope to shoot with many of you in the coming year.

Coon and collards with all the trimmings,

Cooked to perfection by all the wimmens.

Possum and taters and a side of grits,

And hope to hell it don't give ya the sh--s.

YUM YUMMMMMM.

:lol::lol:

Archived