SASS Wire Forum

AR-15 Magazines

I recently aquired a DPMS Panther King Model A-15, AR-15. It came with only one 30 rd. magazine, that has no markings on it, with a black follower. I'd like to get some more 30 rd. magazines. I found, locally, new Bushmaster mags for $25.00 each, and Magpul mags for $10.00 each. Are the Bushmasters worth it, and are the Magpuls any good? What else would be a good bang for the buck choice?

By the way, I'm using Federal 5.56mm M193 Ball ammo.

I have about a dozen Magpul mags and they are great. I have the Maglevels by Magpul, it has a little window that you can see how much ammo you have left in the magazine. In my opinion these are great mags for the money. They are not that expensive. Their follower is the most sought after and desirable follower for any 223/5.56 magazines. They don't tilt. The Pmags (no window) are the least expensive of the Magpul mags, but works the same as the Maglevel mags. Pmags for $10.00 is a good price for it. Get some and you can't go wrong with it.

+1 for the magpul. I was a firm believer in metal over plastic until I tried a couple of these. Now I don't run anything else. Get the ones with the window so you can tell about how many rds are left. I've been using them for several years, ran them in 3-gun, etc... never a hiccup. You can drop them hard, step on them, etc... the DON'T give up! I can't say that for the metal magazines.

Ditto on the link Titus posted, those are my pick too. Hard to beat those Mil-Spec mags at 9.99 each. I've looked at the Magpuls, know quite a few people who have them and like them but I'm sort of an old guy...I still like rotary dial phones for their reliability so I've never been able to bring myself to use any. Plastic mags 'back in the day' were junk and I still have reservations......

Magpul Pmags.

I have run a few thousand rounds through mine and have not had any problems. Additionally if you drop a mag and step on it, you don't have to worry about bent fed lips. The cap on the top pushes the round down and you don't beny feed lips. Great for long term storage.

I gave away all of the metal ones I had.

+1.

We run a lot of Magpuls and no report of problems. And at $10.00 you're at least matching Brownell's contract mags which are said to be very good also.

Where can I get Magpuls for $10.00?

BP

Thanks Pards, Looks like Magpul is a winner.

DDD

P.S.Where can I get Magpuls for $10.00?

Florida Gun Exchange

5811 South Ridgewood Ave.

Port Orange Fl. 32137

http://www.floridagunexchange.com/

Phone 386-304-9499

Fax 386-304-9489

Magpuls on sale $9.99

Federal 5.56 M193 Ball Ammo on sale $5.99/ Box of 20

These guys are so reasonable (cheap) that some of the local gun shows won't let them in because the other dealers complain about their low prices.

Open 10:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. Six days, closed Sunday.

The parking lot is full all day, every day. You have to wait for someone to leave before you can get a space.

By the way, I don't work there, but I'm a frequent flyer.

Beware of some confusion about what are called Magpul mags.

Some are merely the standard metal magazine with the Magpul follower to provide the most stable follower. They are good mags, but not the same as the complete Magpul plastic ones.

The complete Magpul "plastic" mags normally sell for a minimum of $14 and normally up to $17 - the window versions are a dollar or two more.

I've been extremely happy with the Brownells 30 rounders:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21225/psize=48/Product/AR-15-M16-20-30-ROUND-MAGAZINES

They are in sale for $10 a magazine right now. I like mine.

Archived