SASS Wire Forum

SHOTGUN, point or aim?

Jacknife

If the shotgun fits you -- Point.

If the shotgun doesn't fit you -- Aim.

My shotgun fits me. I've used it as a bird gun. I focus on the target, mount, and pull the trigger. Although my eyes are focused on the target, I'm aware where the muzzles are pointing, just like on any other shotgun target.

By the way. To see if your shotgun fits you...whether a bird gun or a CAS gun...set up a 5' x 5' target paper about 30 yards away. Put a 4 inch dot on the paper. Then, while focusing on the dot, mount and shoot your shotgun, without aiming. I do this with about five round. Note where your shot pattern centers (this is called in shotgunning circles as "Patterning your shotgun"). For a bird gun, I prefer the pattern centered horizontally, but about 8 inches high vertically. You may want it more vertically centered for a CAS gun. To adjust where your gun patterns, adjust the stock.

Again with the wing shooting advice.

My Trap gun is a Winchester Model 12 made in 1923. I have added some spacers to the stock and it fits me fine. So I point it, I don't aim it.

My CAS Main Match shotgun is an old Stevens Hammer Gun. It does not fit me perfectly, so I aim it. No, I am not interested in modifying the stock, the gun is over 100 years old.

By the way, just how many old production line shotguns do you guys really think fit their owners perfectly? Do you really think all those old side by sides hanging over mantle pieces 100 years ago fit their owners perfectly? Do you really think very many shooters were modifying the stocks on their old Parkers?

Aim or point? Odd question. What is the difference when you are talking about a shotgun? Maybe I am confused because my shotguns don't have rear sights so there isn't much to do beyond looking down the barrel and putting the front bead in the middle of the target. I guess if your gun has rear sights you aim it like a rifle. I have never seen such a critter, but there are lots of things I have never seen.

Again with the wing shooting advice.

My Trap gun is a Winchester Model 12 made in 1923. I have added some spacers to the stock and it fits me fine. So I point it, I don't aim it.

My CAS Main Match shotgun is an old Stevens Hammer Gun. It does not fit me perfectly, so I aim it. No, I am not interested in modifying the stock, the gun is over 100 years old.

By the way, just how many old production line shotguns do you guys really think fit their owners perfectly? Do you really think all those old side by sides hanging over mantle pieces 100 years ago fit their owners perfectly? Do you really think very many shooters were modifying the stocks on their old Parkers?

Why the angst?

Howdy

Didn't we have this discussion the other day? The targets ain't moving. There is no swinging involved. I take the exact same stance I do with my rifle. I see the sights on my rifle and I see the bead on my shotgun. I place the front sight or the bead, whichever, in the middle of the target and I pull the trigger. Same thing with my pistols. Why would you treat the shotgun any different than the rifle or pistols? The targets ain't moving.

Yup. +1

As I mentioned earlier I prefer to aim at the stationary targets, which I rarely m*ss. But I do appreciate the tips from experienced skeet/trap shooters on how to hit the flyers, which I frequently m*ss (hate to say that word). It seems there might be room for both POV in the conversation?!?

The pointers, who tend to be the faster shooters, miss fairly often. The aimers like me, don't.

Same reason they have oversize safeties, combat closers, extended mag tubes, folding stocks and all that other junk. TO SELLLLLLLLLLL.

Break from our regular post.

With most combat shotguns the operator has gloves on. Think about it. Folding stock is bogus makes for a wobbly shot. I have seen some collapse under fire or when being run hard. Rest of the stuff is useful.

The private owners want the same stuff.

Back to the regularly scheduled post?

Archived