SASS Wire Forum

ANOTHER WINGNUT ALERT

Cool!

Closer to home is the Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck, NY which is about 2 hours north of New York City. There you'll see the real thing flying too.

The big difference between Rhinebeck and this outfit is most of Rhinebeck's aerocraft use RADIAL and modern inline engines and Vintage Aviator uses rebuilt or newly built (Oberersal) correct engines for each aeroplane

TF

Talk about wing nuts, there is going to be an air show in Keene next week that will have 2 WWII bombers on hand for tours and flights. In addition for a tax deductible donation of $450 a couple of folks will get the chance to do a 30 minute flight in a dual control P51-C!!!

This from what I can tell is the actual aircraft....

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/ma_p51mustang.htm

Anyone out there want to get me an early birthday present?

Whoops, checked the website closer and they say the flight in B17 and B24 are $425, the half hour P51 deal is $2200, and an extra grand gets you a full hour.

The big difference between Rhinebeck and this outfit is most of Rhinebeck's aerocraft use RADIAL and modern inline engines and Vintage Aviator uses rebuilt or newly built (Oberersal) correct engines for each aeroplane

TF

Perhaps they do now. But when I was there in the late '70s, their Sopwith Camel had either a Le Rhone or Gnome rotary engine. It was quite a sight and sound sensation. They also had an original Renault FT tank that was part of the show. Gonna have to go dig out my 35 mm slides now!

Perhaps they do now. But when I was there in the late '70s, their Sopwith Camel had either a Le Rhone or Gnome rotary engine. It was quite a sight and sound sensation. They also had an original Renault FT tank that was part of the show. Gonna have to go dig out my 35 mm slides now!

I did put in "most". I have seen Rhinebeck's videos, and yes, a few are rotary engines. A friend of mine (RIP) had a Le Rhone on a stand and that thing was A BLAST to see run. All that castor oil smoke was fun

TF

I did put in "most". I have seen Rhinebeck's videos, and yes, a few are rotary engines. A friend of mine (RIP) had a Le Rhone on a stand and that thing was A BLAST to see run. All that castor oil smoke was fun

TF

Oh gosh, hope I didn't sound I was splitting hairs with you. I'm actually kind of surprised there's any of them running anymore. Hard to believe it's been 33 years since I was there.

I had never seen one or understood why they sounded that way until that day. Imagine flying one of those "kites". No throttle, no brakes -- just a magneto switch and a couple of guys running alongside to keep you from heading into the trees. Took some serious guts to fly one of those things...

Hey Deadwood, No hair splittin here. I'm STILL not finished with the site, but i did notice they purchased a incomplete build of a Sopwith Triplane that came with a P&W radial. They must have some VERY DEEP POCKETS to do what they're doing. Building from scratch a rotary Oberersel and a RAF straight 6.

TF

Check this site out. I haven't even finished looking at it yet, but it's FANTASTIC

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz

TF

I spent more than an hour looking at this site, and I'll be back again. I could really get into flying those old planes.....if I had the money and about 50 fewer years.

Cool!

Closer to home is the Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck, NY which is about 2 hours north of New York City. There you'll see the real thing flying too.

That's about 15 minutes from my house,I can see them flying over my house from time to time.

Archived