SASS Wire Forum

Outhouses..

Deja Vous

Had a 2 holer through highschool. No electricity, no telephone, no running water.

I survived.

Yes you did Noz.. and you grew up big and strong.. lol.. Hey, JJJ's has a top hat now.. lol You need to see it.. It is very cool..

I had one at my cabin in Northern WI, My Jewish friend was out there one morning and I saw him standing by the door, I walked up and asked if everything was okay. Donny said "no I was pullin up my trousers and quarter fell out and dropped down the hole". He was reaching in his wallet and took out a ten dollar bill and threw down the hole. I asked "what did you do that for." He started rolling up his sleeve and said " I'm not reaching down that hole for just a quater" :wacko:

rotfl... yeah.. so, did you go down and help him out? lol

when My dad bought the farm Where I was born after WW II(the oldest part of the house was built in 1720) My folks were warned not to get rid of the "Chic Sales" and I recall using it several summers when the well would run dry one of my jobs was to haul buckets of water from the sawmill pond with my little red wagon so we could flush the toilet in the house at night but during the day we used the privy

I was about 6 when dad had a new well dug which ended the problem but we never got rid of the privy just in case

it had a ventilation series of semi louvers on two sides and a checkerboard pattern of holes high on the door there was a photo of the carriage house next to which it sat that dated to the 1870s that showed the pattern was on the door then

Very cool... craftsmanship was important in everything they did, huh?

The Perils of Outhouses!

(Deja - You might recognize the victim(?) in the video.)

Oh my gosh.. that is so funny... I love it.. lol... No moon t hough? lol. Who blew it up>?

Still have one up at the family cabin, it's that, or a tree, your choice.

LOl.. I have used both.. being raised by wolves.. I will never forget the very first time I went camping with my girl friends in high school. I did not think once about where to go potty at.. lol.. They were shocked at the lack of indoor plumbing out in my wilderness camp.. rotfl...

At age 5, I was on a picnic with family and friends at a mountain lake, wearing myself out wrestling and playing tag with the other kids. I saw a little building with the sign on the door, "Rest Room". Well, I needed a breather so I went in, thinking I would find a cot, or bunkbeds. Imagine my surprise at the sight I beheld.

I complained to my mother about false advertising.

She laughed.

ah.. Jbars .. a man raised with the finer things in life like a indoor john.. lol Cute story.. thank you...

Black Widows in the Privy

Lyrics and Music by Heather Jones

From the tape Horse Tamer's Daughter

Centaur Publications

PO Box 424

El Cerrito, CA 94530

Everyone knows someone we'd be better off without,

But best not mention names, for we know not who's about.

But why commit a murder, and risk the fires of hell,

When black widows in the privy can do it just as well.

Now, poison's good, and daggers, and arrows in the back,

And if you're really desperate, you can try a front attack.

But are they really worthy of the risk of being caught

When black widows in the privy need not be bribed or bought?

So, if there's one of whom wish most simply to be rid,

Just wait 'til dark, then point the way to where the widows hid,

And say to them, "I think you'll find that this one is the best,"

And black widows in the privy will gladly do the rest.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2z4UBpEp2_4

So, uh.. the guy just as you click on it.. who is he?? lol.. Just kidding.. not my type.. great song.. lol

If you ever want to really understand why the Rocky Mountains are called the Rocky Mountains, dig an outhouse hole in them! BTDT more times than I remember.

Oh geesh Grizzes.. I probably walked barefooted there.. lol

my retirement property

When I saw this in the Bass Lake area I joked that this was going to be all the property I could afford in my retirement...

ahaaaaa..

never know what I am going to dig outta my photo philes do ya????

curley

My wife and I used to have a two holer with a stained glass window in it, lot of fond memories of that house, on the shore of lake superior, hand pump for water and a really good sauna, growing up my best friends dad used to give us the task of packing the outhouse down to get another year out of it, usually involved a 2-3" diameter ceder log a hot day in july and a lot of cursing. We got a lot of extra years by packing it down instead of digging a new one, I always figured is was a finlander thing.

Take Care, Stay Safe

DRD

Spent the summer before I got married working in the Snowy Range area in Wyoming. Lived in a wall tent for three months. Had a real nice outhouse that we used. The guy who built it guaranteed it wouldn't stink. He was right...until someone used it. :blink:

My mother grew up in a tiny town in NE Nebraska. Every year on Halloween the teenage boys would go around and push over everyones outhouse. So, one year my grandfather and uncle, right after dark went out moved it forward off the hole. Several young men did not smell too sweet later that night!

.. being raised by wolves..

I was raised by wolves, too. When I was fourteen I was found by a lady anthropologist running naked through the woods.

She said, "Come with me."

I told her, "Not until you put some clothes on, lady."

:P

The house I grew up in was well over 100 years old at the time. It had been a hotel back in the horse and buggy days and at one time had an outhouse. The outhouse was gone by the time I lived there but you could tell by the contour of the backyard where any had been.

We did tear down the house when I was about 12. My parents started it piece by piece. They found a little girl's pair of button boots. (I am still waiting for my mom to give me those!) The house had been insulted in later years by the celluloid newspaper copies. The ones they used to print the paper. there were also some letters found but they disintigrated when pulled out of their hiding place.

Gays Illinois has a unique feature:

A two-story outhouse is located in the town. It was built in 1869 for apartments that were attached to a general store. The top floor was used by the apartment dwellers while the bottom floor was used by patrons of the store. Although the store and apartments were demolished, the outhouse remained. Each level has two seats, so the outhouse could be used by four at a time. Waste from the top level dropped behind a false wall into a pit.

Iff'n you want to read about outhouses, get "Muddled Meanderings in an Outhouse" and "More Muddled Meanderings in an Outhouse" by Bob Ross. The poems about the houses are funny and the pictures are interesting. There is even a picture of a double-decker at a hotel in Nevada City, Montana.

• 2 weeks later...

I was raised by wolves, too. When I was fourteen I was found by a lady anthropologist running naked through the woods.

She said, "Come with me."

I told her, "Not until you put some clothes on, lady."

:P

My wolves were my brothers an father who taught me how men think.. men like you.. lol,. just kidding..

Gays Illinois has a unique feature:

A two-story outhouse is located in the town. It was built in 1869 for apartments that were attached to a general store. The top floor was used by the apartment dwellers while the bottom floor was used by patrons of the store. Although the store and apartments were demolished, the outhouse remained. Each level has two seats, so the outhouse could be used by four at a time. Waste from the top level dropped behind a false wall into a pit.

False wall?? yikees.. lol.. I heard a Joke back in Illinois/Wisconsin growing up.. About and outhouse with a speaker in it.. did you hear it too? lol.. Move over to the next hole please, man working under here?? lol..

Iff'n you want to read about outhouses, get "Muddled Meanderings in an Outhouse" and "More Muddled Meanderings in an Outhouse" by Bob Ross. The poems about the houses are funny and the pictures are interesting. There is even a picture of a double-decker at a hotel in Nevada City, Montana.

I never knew outhouses had coverage.. lol

The house I grew up in was well over 100 years old at the time. It had been a hotel back in the horse and buggy days and at one time had an outhouse. The outhouse was gone by the time I lived there but you could tell by the contour of the backyard where any had been.

We did tear down the house when I was about 12. My parents started it piece by piece. They found a little girl's pair of button boots. (I am still waiting for my mom to give me those!) The house had been insulted in later years by the celluloid newspaper copies. The ones they used to print the paper. there were also some letters found but they disintigrated when pulled out of their hiding place.

Pretty cool, huh? We remodelded ours and found old newspaper in the wall when I was a child. The walls were plaster, not drywall.. and they would crack.. it was hard to hang a picture on.. lol,. The old house did have the carriage house, but the carriage house had been converted to a corn crib on one side and grain storage bins on the other,. The middle we poured concete to set up our PTO tractor with a belt to the corn grinder. Up stairs was the quarters for the hirehands... pretty cool old place. Many nights I lay on the floor as a child wonder about those who lived there once and no longer did.. I always made up a silly story about how much fun they had in the old house. It was a magic thing for me I guess.. I loved the old place so much I wanted to think of it forever.

Back in the day folks his alot of stuff in their houses I expect. My grandparents built their house, and after they died my dad spent a fair amount of time clearing it out, he said he thought he knew where all my grandfathers hiding places were, but could never be totally sure.

Out of one of those hiding places he found a nickel plated pocket pistol that I now have. The story was that it had been given to my grandfather by a close friend of the family of questionable character, and that my grandmother had insisted the gun be disposed of. Obviously it just got hidden away. It has real mother of pearl grips and a lot of engraving. A year or so back I had a gunsmith look it over, he replaced the springs to put it back in working order, but just in working the action it broke again, just as well, I'd hate to blow it up, would rather have it as a keepsake.

Gifts from the past ... they are the very best... I have a few things, my father a few items too. I gave away a lot of things my grandmother gave to me. Living in MO alone I felt if I died the first people thru my door would not be my family. May sound morbid.. but I wanted family to have the things given to me by my grandmother, and father.. so with that in mind and a bad situation at home (enough said).. I took things to Dads, shipped things with his money to him and to TX.. My relics in life are in safe hands,.,. which is how it needs to be... those treasure can never be replaced... guard over them friend..

outhouses x2

the gay outhouse

here ya go

dv

I had a drafting teacher in highschool that worked for the forest service during the summer. As a grunt (no pun) his early jobs were to dig outhouses. one was not quite finished and he was "in the pit" and there were signs on the door that one fairly heavy guy apparently missed..and went in and sat down. When the "darkness loomed" Dave shouted "Hey, get outta here".....guess the guy jumped up and ran out without even pulling up his pants. Don't know if the story is true.....but it is sure funny.

curley

Just need to build a rifle rack into the back and it would make a great motorized gun cart.

Oh, my gosh that would be as great gun cart.. lol

Archived