SASS Wire Forum

66 jams? Help!

Frenchy Cannuck

I just bought a new Taylor & Co / Uberti 1866 Yellowboy .38spl, 20" barrel. I just got back from the range to try it out.

The 1st 20 rounds went without a hitch, then it started acting up. Cycle the action and the next round comes out too far back and keeps the carrier from lifting the round that's in the craddle. Is it the spring or the carrier? I already have a Super Short Stroke kit, carrier, magazine spring and follower on order from Pioneer gun works. Will these new items fix my problem?

I'm already loading at 1.53" can't go much longer without going to .357mag.

Frenchy

I'm already loading at 1.53" can't go much longer without going to .357mag.

Frenchy

The cartridge stop in a 66 is the loading gate, check and see if the tab is bent or broke.

KK

It needs a new loading gate (ladle)..

This is about the only weak spot on the '66

that little tip breaks off and bingo.. yer jammed.. sometimes they'll bend backwards.. if it does.. replace it.. trying to straightening it will only make it weaker and it's already too weak.

Order a new one and reinforce it by sanding off a little spot behind the tip..

Apply some JB Weld to the area to build up kind of a little ramp to the top of the tip..

Sand or file down as necessary to make it clear the carrier when cycling.. It will fix yer problem..

Rance <_<

It needs a new loading gate (ladle)..

This is about the only weak spot on the '66

that little tip breaks off and bingo.. yer jammed.. sometimes they'll bend backwards.. if it does.. replace it.. trying to straightening it will only make it weaker and it's already too weak.

Order a new one and reinforce it by sanding off a little spot behind the tip..

Apply some JB Weld to the area to build up kind of a little ramp to the top of the tip..

Sand or file down as necessary to make it clear the carrier when cycling.. It will fix yer problem..

Rance <_<

I did the JB Weld repair before I ever fired mine. Been running for several years now with no problems.

Here's a photo of the 66 gates. Top is an old style factory welded solid tab. They quite making these at least ten years ago. Center is a bent tab gate with the tab broken off. They can also bend backwards and cause the problem you are having. Bottom is a bend tab gate with a reinforcement soldered on. ALL bent gates regardless of who sells them need to be reinforced or they can bend or break.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1000302.jpg

Has anyone tried to weld a new tab onto the loading gate in place of the one that's broken?

Frenchy..

It's spring steel... If you try welding it... you'll lose all the temper in the springingness of it :wacko: .. just get you a new loading gate and rework it...

If ya gotta shoot this weekend (and that probably is your plight...) just borrow a rifle from another cowboy..

If ya borrow a '66 yellowboy from someone and tell him your plight... he'll understand completely...because more than likely he's already gone through it...

Good Luck

Rance <_<

When mine broke.. (on both of them) I ordered extra's... reworked them with JB Weld and carried them for spares.. after a couple .. three years.. found I didn't needem' and sold one of them to a cowboy with a new yellerboy when his loading gate broke.. Sold it to him for what I paid for it with the work already done.. he got a deal.. old price work done :rolleyes:

Frenchy..

It's spring steel... If you try welding it... you'll all the temper in the springingness of it :wacko: .. just get you a new loading gate and rework it...

If ya gotta shoot this weekend (and that probably is your plight...) just borrow one from another cowboy..

If ya borrow a '66 yellowboy from someone and tell him your plight... he'll understand completely...because more than likely he's already gone through it...

Good Luck

Rance <_<

Much Obliged.

Fact is my next shoot is only on the 13th, so I do have alittle time. I'm worried that getting the part will be the issue!

Thanks a bunch Rance.

Much Obliged.

Fact is my next shoot is only on the 13th, so I do have alittle time. I'm worried that getting the part will be the issue!

Thanks a bunch Rance.

You can call any gun parts company.. It's a pretty common part.. cause they always break.. (I know Brownell's has them).. and they'll ship you one out pronto...

They may tell you about the "extra heavy duty one they carry" it's only a few dollars more..

If ya buy that one... reinforce it too... because it may last 40 rounds instead of 20.. but it will break or bend also.. (don't ask me how I know :wacko: )

Rance <_<

Much Obliged.

Thanks a bunch Rance.

try vti gunparts the carry the loading gates and heavy duty gates also.

kk

My 1st rifle is a Puma 92 .357mag. I'm running 1.53" because it likes it that lentgh. Why wouldn't the 66 like those, any reason or is it that you never needed to go there? Just curious.

Anyhow I've left a message with VTI gunparts I figure I'll hear back on monday am. My 66 is brand new I noticed there was a few differrent gates... They'll help me figure it out, right?

Frenchy

My 1st rifle is a Puma 92 .357mag. I'm running 1.53" because it likes it that lentgh. Why wouldn't the 66 like those, any reason or is it that you never needed to go there? Just curious.

Anyhow I've left a message with VTI gunparts I figure I'll hear back on monday am. My 66 is brand new I noticed there was a few differrent gates... They'll help me figure it out, right?

Frenchy

Frenchy.. having your ammo a little longer doesn't hurt anything except...

take that little extra length.. times 10 rounds.. and that puts extra pressure on that little loading gate tip..

you know.. the tip that's gone :rolleyes:

But anyhow.. you said it was cycling real nice before the tip broke off..

if you reinforce your new one you'll be ok... even with your OAL

My checking of VTi gun parts...shows...

Loading gate.. #BA220127/lg (2005 models and newer) blued... (.115 O.D. screw hole)

also... I'd probably get their new hardened screw... #UB220128/lg/hard.. it's only $2.95 more..

just in case ya might drop that one ya take out or strip the threads..

agin... don't ask me how I know :wacko:

Rance <_<

still livin' & learnin'

The 66 and 73 are designed around ammo that is 1.590" OAL. When you go below 1.500" it frequently causes feeding problems. Ammo in the low 1.4's is on the edge of what a stock carrier ramp will tolerate. You are better off with ammo over 1.500" than under. If a 66/73 won't "tolerate" ammo longer than 1.530" (assuming it isn't longer than 1.590") there is something wrong with the gun.

I had a round jam and the problem was the bullet had resessed back into the case. I noticed that my die had loosened up a bit so my crimps were not as tight as I originally set them to.

so went back and ran the current loadings back thru the crimp and shot of some rounds and all seemed well.

When I first got my 66 the loading gate fell off. Since it was brand new, I took it back to EMF and they put on a "new, improved" gate in about 5 min for free....good on EMF...

curley

I have been reading about the tab problem on 66s for years on the Wire.

You would think by now that someone at the Uberti factory would have heard about it.

I like Uberti guns, but dang!!!

Frenchy.. having your ammo a little longer doesn't hurt anything except...

take that little extra length.. times 10 rounds.. and that puts extra pressure on that little loading gate tip..

you know.. the tip that's gone :rolleyes:

But anyhow.. you said it was cycling real nice before the tip broke off..

if you reinforce your new one you'll be ok... even with your OAL

My checking of VTi gun parts...shows...

Loading gate.. #BA220127/lg (2005 models and newer) blued... (.115 O.D. screw hole)

also... I'd probably get their new hardened screw... #UB220128/lg/hard.. it's only $2.95 more..

just in case ya might drop that one ya take out or strip the threads..

agin... don't ask me how I know :wacko:

Rance <_<

still livin' & learnin'

Great!

Thanks sooo much I'll place the order right now hopefully they can get it to me before the 13th.

It took 2 weeks for a small order from Longhunter to get to me, what with crossing the border in to Canada and all!

I'll keep y'all posted.

Frenchy

• 2 weeks later...

Frenchy..

Just wonderin' if ya got yer new loading gate, got it built up and got it installed...

Ya mentioned ya had a match August 13th..and you said it takes a while to get stuff up to Canada..

Did ya get yer rifle fixed?

Rance <_<

Just thinkin' n' wonderin' :blush:

Archived