SASS Wire Forum

92 sight replacement

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Howdy Pards:I picked up a Grabber front sight for my puma 92.....I can't remember which way to drive out the old front sight .....I think it's drive out to the left and drive the new one in to the right..........does that sound right thanks ,Tuco.....

Sir

The old rule is remove left to right , replace right to left . With that said , the newer dove tail sights are cut pretty much the same eather direction , as best I can tell .

Hope this helps you out .

CB

The old sights should be driven from left out to the right and the new installed from the right side in to the left. I've had people tell me that dovetails are cut into the barrel on a taper. That's just not how they do them ow days. Standard dovetails or at least the most common are 3/8 (.375-.380) X 60 degree straight across cut. The taper that these folks are seeing is the results of driving the sights in and as they go in it swedges the dovetail out on the right side and the sight bases down on the left side creating this taper. That's why it's important to always install from the right and remove from the left.

And now for today's obligatory dumb question......

In regards to the driving the sight out/in via left/right, is that looking down the barrel from the buttstock

or down the barrel from the business end?

You know, sometimes I just think of these things..........

And now for today's obligatory dumb question......

In regards to the driving the sight out/in via left/right, is that looking down the barrel from the buttstock

or down the barrel from the business end?

You know, sometimes I just think of these things..........

I believe that the left side of the rifle is just that.... the left side as looking from the holders.....shooters, and that would be from the butt-stock. point of view. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Pard,

do ya really wanna be lookin straight into that there big hole when

workin on a rifle that could blow yer head clean off?????

Best

CR

Pard,

do ya really wanna be lookin straight into that there big hole when

workin on a rifle that could blow yer head clean off?????

Best

CR

Ummmm, well, I have done worse.......

Drive them out towards the loading gate side. Drive them on starting on the loading gate side

Okay, now that there makes a heap more sense to me.

Never was the brightest bulb in the pack........

If you haven't lined things up as yet, I bought replacement sights for my 92 from Pioneer Gun Works (their Speed Sight, similar to the Grabber) and the rear sight was a dead on match. The front sight however, you could pass easy as you please from left to right or right to left with just finger pressure and no drift or hammer. It was that loose. I had to peen the dovetail on the sight base to take up enough space for it to hold in the rifle's dovetail. Pioneer told me to do this and said it was expected with the varied manufacturers of the 92 over the years. Smithy.

Archived