SASS Wire Forum

cast bullets out of chilled shot?

Guest diablo slim shootist

Guest diablo slim shootist

I got the bug to cast some 300grain 45 colt bullets with my new Lee mold

and wondered if i could cast them out of chilled shot-I'm looking for some

pretty hard bullets for hunting with my Ruger Bisley 7.5 Blackhawk.

Will this work? has anyone tried this? Thanks for any imput. ;) Diablo

They will not be hard as you might expect. Chilled shot is almost pure lead. They process by which they are dropped and cooled is the reason for their name.

Magnum shot contains 6% Antimony and is very hard. In fact, adding 2% Tin makes the magnum bullet allot used by commercial bullet casters.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Oh heck, yes!

I've used quite a bit.

No problem.

Mustang Gregg

[Castin' & Blastin']

They will not be hard as you might expect. Chilled shot is almost pure lead. They process by which they are dropped and cooled is the reason for their name.

Magnum shot contains 6% Antimony and is very hard. In fact, adding 2% Tin makes the magnum bullet allot used by commercial bullet casters.

+1

You said looking for some "pretty hard bullets"

I will PM you some info on where you can get some 92% lead 6%antimony and 2% tin ready to cast.

Get you some lead wheel weights and melt them down. Then add 1 part in 20, tin for good casting propertys. Makes fine pistol bullets. They are quite hard and when properly lubed, do not lead your barrel.

RBK

For handgun hunting, most folks want at least a 5-6% antimony, 2% tin bullet alloy, with a little arsenic so the bullets can be water quenched to harden the bullet to about BNH 30 or so. Then you can push the slug up to 1800 FPS without much leading.

So, chilled shot won't get you there. Magnum shot will be closer, but probably still need tin and maybe more antimony. Better yet, if hunting, get "hard ball" or magnum alloy already mixed from RotoMetals or Midway, then you are sure the lot you cast will be accurate and not lead your guns up.

Good luck, GJ

Get you some lead wheel weights and melt them down. Then add 1 part in 20, tin for good casting propertys. Makes fine pistol bullets. They are quite hard and when properly lubed, do not lead your barrel.

Diablo, very good advice from Rio Brazos. I even use WW's with 1/2% tin for BPCR bullets that are shot long distance and straight WW's for CAS, shooting black powder also

Archived