SASS Wire Forum

Question about Marlin 1894C .357/.38

The Camarillo Kid

This question is about the Marlin 1894C round barreled Carbine (with the 18.5" barrel) - not to be confused with the 1894CB (Cowboy Edition) with the 20" Octagon barrel.

So everywhere I looked online said the 1894C 18.5" barrel model only holds 9 rounds in the tube - and of course we need 10 rounds for CAS - but I had a seller on gunbroker tell me the 1894C holds 9 rounds of .357, but 10 rounds of .38 - I know the .38 round is slightly shorter but is it true they're short enough to get one more round in the tube? is this accurate?

CK

This question is about the Marlin 1894C round barreled Carbine (with the 18.5" barrel) - not to be confused with the 1894CB (Cowboy Edition) with the 20" Octagon barrel.

So everywhere I looked online said the 1894C 18.5" barrel model only holds 9 rounds in the tube - and of course we need 10 rounds for CAS - but I had a seller on gunbroker tell me the 1894C holds 9 rounds of .357, but 10 rounds of .38 - I know the .38 round is slightly shorter but is it true they're short enough to get one more round in the tube? is this accurate?

CK

With no mods to the mag tube spring the carbine will hold 10 rounds of 38 spl. Trimming the mag spring just a bit will allow it to hold 10 rounds of 357 unless you get crazy with overall all bullet length.

That's what I shoot and I load 38sp to 1.53 OAL and all 10 fit just fine. If'n ya load them much longer you'll have 2 to try and load on the first lever pull due to too much spring compression.

Like was said above, just watch your OAL with the .38's. 1.50+ should feed okay. Another thing just occurred to me, try to find a Marlin made one ,not the newer Remington ones. The Rems are trouble waiting to happen. Look for a JM on the barrel close to the chamber end..........Buck :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I cut my magazine follower spring a little and now I can get 10 factory .357 rounds in the tube (not that I'd ever shoot factory on a SASS stage, but you get my meaning).

-Pico Pistolero

blog.picopistolero.com

Lesssee,

FIRST is will my Marlin hold ten rounds,

Secont is what screwdrivers do I need,

Third is Which handgun is best,

fourth is who can make my 1894 winchester 44 competitive.

Best

CR

lol

Archived