SASS Wire Forum

Ruger customer service came through for me!

Waldo Bodfish #91995

I had 2 Ruger New Vaquero's that I bought used. They had the "Case Hardened" finish, but it was constantly rusting, and as the rust was cleaned off, the finish would come off with it. Also, one of the pins was worn down, allowing the cylinder to rotate either way and it was buggin the hell out of me. I called Ruger customer service to see how much it would be to fix the issues. They told me to just send them in, the rust was a known issue, that they would blue them no charge. I was really conflicted because I love the case hardened look, but decided to go for it anyway. I spoke with a customer service guy while they were gettin fixed and asked him about the possibility of getting some simulated ivory grips while they were there. He told me he would have to check and see if they had any, but I never heard back from him. Well, today they came back :D . They hooked me up with the simulated ivory grips, no charge. $140 in grips for free....no complaints here

Before:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/adam_perdue/IMG_20110410_173626.jpg

After:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/adam_perdue/IMG_20110622_222140-1.jpg

Howdy,

I had seen factory ruger blue before and this is no surprise.

How you worked free grips is a puzzle.

You could always buy some Ruger stock....

Best

CR

Also, one of the pins was worn down, allowing the cylinder to rotate either way and it was buggin the hell out of me.

Howdy

So what was the deal with the pin? Specifically what pin, and how did it allow the cylinder to rotate either direction? And did Ruger fix it while they had the guns? I have always heard they go completely through a gun and put anything right that is not to factory spec.

:FlagAm: I have been shooting Rugers since I started shooting. My 1st handgun was a single six which my father got for me in the early 60's. Since then I have owned many and on occasion broke a few. The customer service has always been #1 and thats why I still continue to shoot them on a almost daily basis. :FlagAm:

Howdy

So what was the deal with the pin? Specifically what pin, and how did it allow the cylinder to rotate either direction? And did Ruger fix it while they had the guns? I have always heard they go completely through a gun and put anything right that is not to factory spec.

The part that needed to be replaced is called the ejector alignment pawl. On the new vaqueros, it is a spring loaded pin that engages the bottom of the cylinder ratchet. I have seen a post on CAScity where people purposefully filed this part down, just so they could spin the cylinder either way, but it really bothered me. I tried to get ruger to sell me the part, but they told me that is is one of the few parts that has to be fitted to the gun and they would not sell it to me. They did replace it while it was in for repair, which did fix the issue. The repair order states that "all internal parts replaced" in both guns.

Archived