SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 308mx Info or .45-70?

Howdy Pards:I fixin' to buy a Marlin lever gun in the 308mx leverevolution caliber.....There supposed to be close to a .308 win........I'll be using it to shoot deer/elk....been an .06 shooter all my life ....Just wanted a more cowboy lookin' gun....Or maybe the .45-70??????I will be horse campin and huntin in colorado....Any one out there have any experience with one of these????Let me know before I "Buy it Now".......Thanks Tuco.

I think the 308 mx rifle is a fine rifle and caliber. Really love these rifles. Pard has a stainless one. Fairly accurate. But no one carries ammo. Always has to order it in and its $30-35 a box when he does. But it is GOOD ammo.

I found a Savage 99 in 308 Winchester a while back in good shape for $500. Probably could of got it for $450-$475. This makes more sense to me to be quite honest. Even one in 300 Savage makes a lot of sense when ya ignore the slight numbers difference and look at 90 years of proven on game performance. 300 Savage and 308 are readily available (round here at least) where 308 MX is not.

The 308MX has a real good chance of going the same way of so many other latest-greatest-calibers. They're here for a few years, get neat write-ups in the gun rags, then fade to distant memory when not enough people by them.

The Savage 99 in 308 sounds like a good idea. (I didn't know they made them in that caliber, but learned something new today.) You also cannot go wrong with a 45-70. In the Marlin with Hornady's Leverrevolution (sp?) ammo it is a really good performer.

I have and like da Marlin 95ss in .45-70 and both the Cartridge and Rifle have stood the Test of time ....

If you buy a Marlin make sure it's a Marlin and Not a marlin (remmie made)......

Winchester is making a limited run of 1886s in a light-weight short-rifle type in .45-70 for 2011....

Jabez Cowboy

Elk are big and tough especially when not hit just right. Go with the 45/70. With proper handloads in the Marlin, your shoulder will say stop before you run out of space for powder.

And get close.

Compare the energy of the marlin to the '06 you have with both 150 and 180 grain bullets. The marlin is not close to the 308 Winy. If the hunting is on horse you must assume youll be in the canyons where no shot will be closer than 75YDS unless...? If its one or the other you'll need the bolt action with a hotter caliber, distance at least 100yds or so or use the '06 HOWEVER <_< for a few dollars more

look at Browning lever actions, they come in light weight aluminum alloy receivers or steel with 308 nato WIN. I have been looking into the same as you 308 ?Browning has a semi shoots 1" and will go 20+K hot military all day if the SHTF and is lighter than a M1 o8.

My 95 with a 22 inch Barrel (older model) pushes a 400 gr "Speer" FP bullet out the Muzzle at 2,207 Fps. and will handle Moose out to 225 yards with ease ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have 2 1895's in 45/70 -- an 18.5 inch octogon LTDIII and a first year 22 inch ballard rifle. Ialso have an 1895 cowboy that was sent to Turnbull's befroe it was ever shot and rebarrelled to 50 Alaskan. In 308 me I have an XLR version.

As far as hunting use goes --- the 308me has taken 9 deer. The factory lever evolution bullets are pure junk inside 100 yards. they are way too soft and fragment, do not leave an exit hole and do not kill game right there. I have a remington 700 in .308 that I have killed 129 deer with on the same stands and have never had a deer move more than 20 feet after getting shot using 165 grain sierras (not a hard bullet either, but effective)-- thats 129 kills in 129 shots.

Last year I loaded 150 grain Barnes X bullets in the .308me and it finally started to kill deer dead. AS far as the 308 marlin on elk, moose or bear--- NO WAY! Its not enough gun.

The 45/70 will kill game dead with good ammo easily. Only problem with it is it drops like a rock and you have to know how far to hold over game at ranges past 175 yards.

The 50 ak has killed 3 bears so far. Have not had the heart to shoot a deer with it, cause I like to eat them. The alaskan shoots a 525 grain woodleigh at 2000 fps. That is 458wm energy territory. It goes right through bear busting shoulders, powdering the heart and leaves a baseball sized exit hole. Needless to say -- they have been dead right there.

Its good to about 200 yards then you gotta know holdover like the 45/70.

If I'm hunting elk in timber with shots under 250 yards a 45/70 or 50 ak is a good choice. If I will have to shoot farther -- I have a .338wm, 300 H+H, 300 Ultra mag or 375 H+H to use.

Archived