SASS Wire Forum

Calling all 38-40 shooters

Texas Red

To the Fire and 38-40 shooters,

While back there was a discussion concerning Hornady vs RCBS 38-40 dies...Some postulated that Hornady are superior to RCBS Cowboy dies or regular dies???

How are they different and what are the strengths and weakness's of both???

I'd like to know...

Texas Red

I have used a set of Lee dies for well over 20 years. I had the sizer die trimmed about 1/4" so that I could set the shoulder back to it's original size.

I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I've got dies from Lee, Lyman, Pacific, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, Dillon, and probably a couple others that aren't coming to mind at the moment, and I don't see a whit of difference in the end result from any of them. My .38-40 dies are Lee, and, like Ethan Cord, I had to chuck 'em up and trim the sizer die a bit so they'd chamber in my Vaqueros.

Double tap

been shooting 38-40 for several years now.

I've had no problems with using Lee dies the whole time. :)

I load 38/40's on a Lee Pro 1000 with 3 stages. The 1st two dies are Lees but the seating and crimping die is a RCBS. If everything is adjusted right it makes great reloads. One thing

I always do is have a Revolver on the bench to try seating the cartirdges in to make sure the case hasn't bulged anywhere. If the cartridge doesn't want to seat all the way then you have to

back off a little until it does. Check after any changes are made and don't forget to lube those cases.

Mosey West

I have been partial to Hornady New Dimension Dies for several years, due to their superior seating die design. They have the sliding collet that insures straight line seating, as is commonly found in competition dies. This has proven to me to be a better approach to bullet seating, and I have added the seating dies to all my previously purchased RCBS die sets.

I also use the Lee Factory crimp dies on all Bottle neck cases, and the Redding Profile Crimp Die on all straight wall pistol cases.

RBK

On the resizing die, RCBS has 2 different sets of dies, one for a jacket rifle, the other for resizing lead bullets, been using it, lead set for 11 years. I dont know anything about Hornady, tried Redding didnt work at all.

Never had to grind or shorten the die.

Used separate die to crimp, I used the Redding profile crimp, RCBS crimp, Lee crimps all worked fine, I only use bullets with no crimp groove, more accurate, no back splash especially with straight wall cases, used to shoot 44 mags and crimping where I want gives me same feel shot after shot.

I have Many sets of reloading Dies !!!!!

In the 70s I had plenty of Green Boxes(RCBS) now I have one set of RCBS dies left, they have all been traded off for better dies as in my Buisness, I can't be bothered with second rate dies..... Most of my dies are Hornady (85%) 14.75% are Lyman and I have a couple sets of Lee Dies ....

So my shelves of dies are mostly red & orange with one green box ...

Machining processes have improved, addvancement in die design have come ,,,,, Except at RCBS where it's same old Same old ....

For the most part lee dies are better made than RCBS ...

Redding Makes great Dies ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But,,,,,,,, They are over priced ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived