SASS Wire Forum

Altitude change awareness.....

Here's a good one. I bought a small can of clays at the Sportsmans Warehouse in The Springs which is at about 5600 feet. Drove home which sits at 8860. Opened the can pulled back the safety seal and had powder pop out. It was a good 7 foot radius. We get an occasional bag of chips at the burstin point when we shop at the commissary, but I've never had this happen.

Is ingesting a bit of powder through the nose bad???

Whiskey

I managed to inhale a nose full of Bullseye once; my nose bled for days and I kept blowing out black spots. It was on an old indoor range with terrible ventilation and I was shooting PPC with a 2" S&W Mod 10, stepped into a cloud of unburnt powder and inhaled it through my nose. Not a good idea.

We had a similar experience with a jar of instant coffee once. I am sure that whoever has that camper is still finding coffee in the crevaces. Here is what a chemist friend had to say:

Taking in nitrates by any route can be bad, and there is enough in powder, ESPECIALLY double-base powders (the NG) to give you a real headache, vomiting, and so on. And, it will be sort of timed-release, so it won’t necessarily go away fast. Until they begin vacuum packing powder, I guess this can be a hazard at higher altitudes. At least he wasn’t smoking when he did it, or he would not have been able to send the query!

Here's a good one. I bought a small can of clays at the Sportsmans Warehouse in The Springs which is at about 5600 feet. Drove home which sits at 8860. Opened the can pulled back the safety seal and had powder pop out. It was a good 7 foot radius. We get an occasional bag of chips at the burstin point when we shop at the commissary, but I've never had this happen.

Is ingesting a bit of powder through the nose bad???

Whiskey

What did I tell you about sniffing your powder, lesson was powder in brass not nose I thought we had that straight? Geez buy them books send them to school and what do they do eat the covers.

KK

Y'all should open the cans pointing away from you! Then, puncture the seal with a SMALL sharp object to let the pressure equalize! THEN peel the seal off! OTOH, if you don't mind wasting some, it IS OK to open champaign bottles quickly! ^_^

Smokeless powder, like Clays, has a good amount of nitroglycerin in it.

Nitro is a vasaldilator, e.g., it makes your blood vessels expand. This is a good thing if you have a heart condition or angina attacks, but not so good if you don't.

Ingesting nitro can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, resulting in dizzyness or passing out. It can also cause something akin to a migraine headache.

I guess I'm not really aware of my attitude when I open a can of powder. Sometimes, I'm pleased cuz I know I'll be shooting soon. Sometimes, I'm resentful cuz Clyde moved and I have to do my own reloading now.

....I guess my attitude is variable.

Smokeless powder, like Clays, has a good amount of nitroglycerin in it.

Nitro is a vasaldilator, e.g., it makes your blood vessels expand. This is a good thing if you have a heart condition or angina attacks, but not so good if you don't.

Ingesting nitro can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, resulting in dizzyness or passing out. It can also cause something akin to a migraine headache.

Howdy

Here is a related story that I always find fascinating. My Dad was a chemist. He spent most of WWII in Lawrence Kansas working for Hercules powder company, mostly making bazooka fuel. He had lots of experience with all kinds of explosives.

I dunno just exactly what the procedures were, but some of the work was done in the presence of nitro glycerine fumes. Dad was a foreman at the time, or some sort of supervisor. Skilled labor was scarce, with so many men away fighting the war, and he was always training new hands. Dad had a standard lecture that he would deliver every time he had new workers to train. He told them that after their first day they were going to go home and would have a splitting headache that night, because of the nitro fumes. But he told them it would pass, and after a day or two the headaches would stop.

And every week most of the new people would quit and he would have to start all over again with a new crew and the same warning.

He claimed the headaches really did go away, but few of the workers wanted to stay long enough to find out.

That is why I always poke the seal w/ a tooth pick and let the air out slowly. When the the pressure is all gone, then I peel off the seal.

This works reall well w/ Yogurt pkgs too, although inhaling/ sniffing yogurt can't be half as bad as inhaling/ sniffing gunpowder! :blush::rolleyes:

Kindest regards,

CBA

I guess I'm not really aware of my attitude when I open a can of powder. Sometimes, I'm pleased cuz I know I'll be shooting soon. Sometimes, I'm resentful cuz Clyde moved and I have to do my own reloading now.

....I guess my attitude is variable.

I've been looking at this thread title for three days wondering what someone's attitude has to do with opening a can of powder. A few seconds ago I finally realized it says aLtitude. Just when I come in here to post that I find Manatee's post. Is that great minds thinking alike or is it more closely associated with the other end of the mental spectrum? :lol:

Archived