SASS Wire Forum

.357/.38 lever action

Hound Dog

What do you want.92s are the cheapest 66 then the 73.You can spend from 350.00-400.00 to 1500.00-1700.00 You have to know what you want and let peopleknow.

Brand new to SAS. Looking for a reasonably priced lever action chambered in .357/.38. Please contact if you have one for sale.

Reasonably priced? If you can find a good Marlin, that would be a good place to start in my opinion. You might want to go to some matches and try out some different guns, most Cowboys will be happy to let you try out their guns after a match. You might save some money in the long run by seeing what you like and what you don't.

Welcome to SASS.

Randy

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/

It took me a while to figure out how to update my profile....still stumblin through those tumbleweeds. Of course I'm only a short fellow and some of those tumbleweeds are a mite tall!!

Hound Dog, do put some location info in your profile. If there are other close to you they could help you out at a match. It would be good to shoot before you buy if you can. Some folks have traded shootin irons many times before they settled on the ones they are shootin now. I'm new to this myself and shoot a Marlin, it was the least expensive for me, about $625 new. You can find some used ones around here or on other websites that sell guns.

Welcome to SASS.

Today I posted my Rossi '92 in .357 that I have as a backup on this wire. It is a solid carbine that has been slicked by one of the better cowboy smiths in NC. I have shot some stages in the low 20's with this gun as it is about as slick as a '92 can be made.

'92s, like the Marlins, feed the cartridge at an angle. This means that they are less tolerant to cartridge length and dirt than the toggle-actions of the '66s and '73. This rifle favors .357s and is less tolerant of .38s. I laod 125-grain lead bullets to 900 fps in this rifle. I get all of my bbrass back since most shooters use .38s or .45s.

A new, untuned Rossi '92 in sstl starts around $500. The work on this gun would cost about $125. My price of $450 includes shipping to your local FFL.

I am changing to Frontier Cartridge and planning to shoot BP loads in a Uberti '73 and a couple of original Winchesters, so this gun will be made into a loaner if not sold.

Today I posted my Rossi '92 in .357 that I have as a backup on this wire. It is a solid carbine that has been slicked by one of the better cowboy smiths in NC. I have shot some stages in the low 20's with this gun as it is about as slick as a '92 can be made.

'92s, like the Marlins, feed the cartridge at an angle. This means that they are less tolerant to cartridge length and dirt than the toggle-actions of the '66s and '73. This rifle favors .357s and is less tolerant of .38s. I laod 125-grain lead bullets to 900 fps in this rifle. I get all of my bbrass back since most shooters use .38s or .45s.

A new, untuned Rossi '92 in sstl starts around $500. The work on this gun would cost about $125. My price of $450 includes shipping to your local FFL.

I am changing to Frontier Cartridge and planning to shoot BP loads in a Uberti '73 and a couple of original Winchesters, so this gun will be made into a loaner if not sold.

Brand new to SAS. Looking for a reasonably priced lever action chambered in .357/.38. Please contact if you have one for sale.

Be very weary of buying an "off the shelf" '92, especially one of the new Pumas'. They are the one most unweary folks will buy because of the low price, but MOST all of them will lead to disillusion and fustration. Should you find one reworked by Nate Jones, it will be a shooter, but not cheap. Like some pards have said, ask to shoot a few at a match. You will probably settle on a Marlin. These are MY PERSONAL observations, and in no way reflect on anyone elses experiences, or offerings. Take this advise for what it costs. (2c)

Al

I agree with Al. Off-the-shelf '92s are good guns but just not ready for CAS. This carbine that I am selling was one of factory tuned guns on the late '90s that has seen some later refining by a 'smith who knows and likes '92s. I did not have the springs lightened to quesionable performance (I use Winchester primers), and I had reliabbility as the main concern with slicking up the action as a secondary goal. '92s going fast are never perfect, but they be made to do much better than what is coming out of Brazil, Italy or Japan.

Several top-shooters in my area have picked on my '92. After handling it, they said that 'its not a '73 but it is a very good '92.' I am not pretending it to be more than that.

No one wins major matches with '92s, but a new shooter can learn alot and shoot for several years before learning which rifle to move up to based on category, caliber and other factors.

of the 3..what I call top choices amongst shooters..the Marlin is the lowest price.gun and tune up will cost about what a '66 or '73 will cost stock,no tuning. .The marlins can be made to run very smoothe,and more than fast enough for me ,and for lots and lots of shooters.

I just got a '66,used,at a great price,and was quoted 500.00 for a full race job.Too much for my skills,I"m gonna use it as is.As-is it's outrunnin my trusty model 92 Rossi,so I"m plenty happy with it...for now. I love the straight-line feeeding of my '66.she's a keeper.

hope this helps both of you.

Revellee,where ya from?

of the 3..what I call top choices amongst shooters..the Marlin is the lowest price.gun and tune up will cost about what a '66 or '73 will cost stock,no tuning. .The marlins can be made to run very smoothe,and more than fast enough for me ,and for lots and lots of shooters.

I just got a '66,used,at a great price,and was quoted 500.00 for a full race job.Too much for my skills,I"m gonna use it as is.As-is it's outrunnin my trusty model 92 Rossi,so I"m plenty happy with it...for now. I love the straight-line feeeding of my '66.she's a keeper.

Revellee,where ya from?

West Arkansas, can't call any particular shoot "home" just yet. We're just going when and where we can for right now. Go to True Grit most often. Very nice folks there. Right now I'm studying up on the carbines for when we can replace Kidigin's some time in the future. (This is just plain ol' addicting! :D )

West Arkansas, can't call any particular shoot "home" just yet. We're just going when and where we can for right now. Go to True Grit most often. Very nice folks there. Right now I'm studying up on the carbines for when we can replace Kidigin's some time in the future. (This is just plain ol' addicting! :D )

If you want to have a real ball, and can get there, go to OutLaw Camp near Heber Springs. Went there once last year and was impressed with their set-up. Real fun folks too.

As for rifles, I been thru all of them, started out with a Rossi, dumped it in favor of a real Winchester, got tired of it's hiccups, sold it off and got a 24" Marlin Cowboy. Gave in to the beauty of the Brassie '66, but soon tired of the weight, parted ways with it, and went back to my favorite girl, the 24" Marlin. Then, in another case of fickleness, bought a '73 Boarder rifle, and tricked it out with all the whistles and bells, but Alas, When the match starts off, I STILL dance with Miss Marlin. (Just lately found her sister for backup, should I ever (not likely) need it.) Even did s VERY SHORT round with the "Lightning" pumps. Never Again!!

Al

Revellee,where ya from?

Contact Cody Conagher, I think you can get it short stroked and slicked for just about 1/2 that.

Randy

If you want to have a real ball, and can get there, go to OutLaw Camp near Heber Springs. Went there once last year and was impressed with their set-up. Real fun folks too.

As for rifles, I been thru all of them, started out with a Rossi, dumped it in favor of a real Winchester, got tired of it's hiccups, sold it off and got a 24" Marlin Cowboy. Gave in to the beauty of the Brassie '66, but soon tired of the weight, parted ways with it, and went back to my favorite girl, the 24" Marlin. Then, in another case of fickleness, bought a '73 Boarder rifle, and tricked it out with all the whistles and bells, but Alas, When the match starts off, I STILL dance with Miss Marlin. (Just lately found her sister for backup, should I ever (not likely) need it.) Even did s VERY SHORT round with the "Lightning" pumps. Never Again!!

Al

Here is a video of how a Widdermatic Marlin can run in very incapable hands, please disregard the poor gun handling with the other guns but the Widdermatic runs as good as I can.

Thanks

Randy

Archived