SASS Wire Forum

Paper Patched Bullits

Subdeacon Joe

You mentioned lack of leading. Done properly no it won't.

In general:

It allows you to shoot a wide array of bullet alloys...from dead soft to pretty hard.

You can if you wish, using patched to bore, add more powder to a point. We call it the 50-90 now but it was never factory loaded with less than 100 grs. The 47 2 7/8 we calle the 110 was commonly loaded to 120 gr. This can be done with a long bore riding greaser too but it exposes the grease to all kinds of nasty stuff.

I can roll patches a lot faster than I can lube bullets.

Its what the Old Dead Guys used! Another way of reliving history. When Dixon made that shot it was with PPB.

Style points! Nothing sexier than a belt of PP rounds.

Its fun!

You can also write love notes to you gal friend and shoot them over to her place. :unsure:

Maybe not. That might require a rethunk. :blink:

Wouldn't that smudge the ink??

Knarley

The original reason for the patch was to put a spin on the bullet. Before the invention of the Minie ball (which expanded to engage the rifling grooves when fired), balls/bullets had to be undersized to be stuffed down a barrel. If the bullet was too close in diameter to the bore, loading became difficult as the bore accumulated fouling. In addition to deforming the bullet by pounding it down the barrel, it took longer to reload which was dangerous when rapid reloading in battle was necessary. It also reduced the risk of a "short start" where the bullet doesn't make it all the way down the bore to sit on top of the powder charge. As you know, air space between a bullet and black powder can burst a barrel.

Since the bullet was so undersized, it wouldn't engage the rifling grooves by itself. Paper and linen patches were used to take up the space in order to engage the grooves and put a spin on the bullet. I'm not sure about the paper patches, but the linen patches were often soaked in lubricant to aid reloading.

Archived