SASS Wire Forum

Fiocchi primers

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

I still have 10,000 Fiocchi large pistol primers from the 1986 primer shortage. I don't know if they have changed since 1986, but the ones I have are HARD. I have several revolvers that work perfect with Winchester or Federal primers but won't even scratch, let alone dent, the Fiocchis. As a result, I have been slowly using up the Fiocchi large pistol primers in my .45-70 BP loads. What was nice about them is that they came in little flat boxes of 250 (instead of 100 like in the U.S.) and 2500 to a larger box. 5,000 take up less space than 1,000 Federals.

P.S. I was at the Crossroads of the West show today and a couple of vendors had Winchester primers for $99.00 per sleeve (5000).

I use them without problems even in my CAS prepared Chiappa Great Western II.

+1 on Fiocchi's being hard. I have also heard they may are larger in diameter and stretch out primer pockets. I don't know about this for sure because I only load the Fiocchi's in lost hull situations. I got my Fiocchi's real cheap (nearly free) several years ago and when they're gone I won't be acquiring any more.

Only use their shotgun primers, but they go "Bang" every single time.

That's all I ask.

Are they any good?

Doc, you post shows that you don't much of anything about Fiocchi. Let me help you ...

Fiocchi Munizioni (Fiocchi Ammunition) is one of Italy's largest and oldest manufacturers of ammunitions. Founded on 3 July 1876, yes ... 1876

Qualifications and Certifications of prestige attest the level of quality achieved by the company:

NATO AQAP-110 Certification

ISO 14001: 1996 Certification of the Environment Management System

UNI EN ISO 9001: 2000 Certification of the Quality Management System.

Furthermore, Fiocchi shooting cartridges have contributed to several World Cups and Olympic triumphs, as the Games in Athens in 2004 as well as in those in Beijing in 2008

Sounds to me like their primers will go bang and the price is right! Do you agree? ;)

Another happy Fiocchi user here. Started using Fiocchi during the Great Primer Shortage of 2009, when it was the only brand readily obtainable.

After 10K or so, never had a failure to go Bang, even with my lightly sprung CAS guns.

Tried the Wolf brand too, also with 100% Bang rate.

Fiocchi primers come in trays of 150 each, which causes a bit of inconvenience.

I load primers into tubes using a Dillon auto primer filler, with the capacity of 100 per tube.

So, I have to carefully deal out ~100 primers from the tray when loading the filler, to avoid spills.

If you prime manually, or load the primer tubes using the "peck" method - this is of no concern to you.

Pecos

Archived