SASS Wire Forum

E.M.F. Pistols

FunnyRunner

Looking at the EMF "Californian" in .357. Can anyone volunteer opinions on E.M.F.'s pistols as far as quality, shootability, smoothness of action, durability, etc? It will be strictly for target/fun shooting, not competition by the way.

Thanks for the assist.

I have a pair and do use them in competition with no problems. Dang good pistols.

Ps. They are the pistols I am firing with full bp loads in the picture on the left. :D

Pietta revised their factory and tooling in 2000-2001 and current production has a very good reputation. At least as good as current Ubertis, some say better. I've not handled one personally but the rep says "good guns" - assuming you want something lacking a transfer bar safety.

Odd thing: there's actually a Pietta-built transfer bar gun being made as parts by Pietta in Italy, assembled and finished stateside as the Heritage Big-Bore series. These are not near as cheesy or "pot metal" as the Heritage small-bore guns. I've not seen any reports on this Pietta variant except for the Gunblast review:

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_HeritageBigBore.htm

This pic shows what looks like a very "Ruger-ish" transfer bar but some minor differences in the hammer face shape and frame:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/WBell_HeritageBigBore/45-Rough-Rider-032.jpg

I don't think Heritage has assembled very many; I've never seen one and I don't know anybody shooting one. I think if I wanted a transfer bar I'd go with a Ruger :).

I have EMF guns dating back to the 1970's. I still have 2 Dakotas from the 1980's. I have 7 Great Westerns, 2 1875 Remingtons, 1 1866 Yellowboy, 2 1892's and 1 1873. I have only had one issue with the first Great Western, and they fixed it while I stood visiting with Debbie. Yes I can say the guns are very good. And their customer service is second to NONE.

good shootin and we expect to see pix.

curley

My match pistols are GWIIs and were excellent out of the box!

Cheyenne

Pietta revised their factory and tooling in 2000-2001 and current production has a very good reputation. At least as good as current Ubertis, some say better. I've not handled one personally but the rep says "good guns" - assuming you want something lacking a transfer bar safety.

Odd thing: there's actually a Pietta-built transfer bar gun being made as parts by Pietta in Italy, assembled and finished stateside as the Heritage Big-Bore series. These are not near as cheesy or "pot metal" as the Heritage small-bore guns. I've not seen any reports on this Pietta variant except for the Gunblast review:

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_HeritageBigBore.htm

This pic shows what looks like a very "Ruger-ish" transfer bar but some minor differences in the hammer face shape and frame:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/WBell_HeritageBigBore/45-Rough-Rider-032.jpg

I don't think Heritage has assembled very many; I've never seen one and I don't know anybody shooting one. I think if I wanted a transfer bar I'd go with a Ruger :).

I am shooting the Heritage Big Bores ...I have 3 of them 2 case harden & a nickel in 357 with 4.75 barrels...I have put around 500 rounds through each of them. There fit & finish is good and they are smooth with a light crisp trigger and they lock up tight If you were to blind fold me I can not tell one from the other. The only complaint I have with them is the grips are a bit thick.

My 92 from EMF is the only '92 I kept after cleaning out the safe to make room for marlins and 66's. Course it might be the job Fireball did on it that made it so slick.

Guess I'll have to add my 2 centavos. A couple of months ago, I called Debbie @ EMF and asked her to send me two GW II .45 Colt 4 3/4" CCH/Blue Californians. Have to say they are both excellent guns. I'm actually quite impressed that the high level of quality is available at this price. Tight tolerances, great finish, well timed and smooth. Took the pistols apart and the innards are smooth and well finished. I will also say that I've dealt with Debbie over the years and she's a top drawer Cowgirl. The very few times I've had a problem with an EMF gun, she was Joannie on the spot getting it taken care of.

I'll just say, Debbie & EMF highly recommended.

CAB aka SAAJim

Looking at the EMF "Californian" in .357. Can anyone volunteer opinions on E.M.F.'s pistols as far as quality, shootability, smoothness of action, durability, etc? It will be strictly for target/fun shooting, not competition by the way.

Thanks for the assist.

I've had one for about two years. It's a very nice pistol and the action is as smooth as others I've held with action jobs. The only thing I didn't care for was the cheap finish on the wood grip, so I refinished it. Other than that, fit and finish are excellent.

Archived