SASS Wire Forum

IL Dems may approve concealed carry

BlackhawkPaul

Dems may approve ‘concealed carry’ to throw GOP a bone

I wouldn’t blame you if you thought things are moving way too fast at the Illinois Statehouse. Civil unions, an income tax increase and then, Wednesday, the death penalty abolition law. But change like this comes maybe once in a generation, if that. Things move …Read More click on link-

http://www.suntimes....gop-a-bone.html

RICH MILLER

capitolfax@aol.com

Last Modified: Mar 11, 2011 02:11AM

I wouldn’t blame you if you thought things are moving way too fast at the Illinois Statehouse.

Civil unions, an income tax increase and then, Wednesday, the death penalty abolition law.

But change like this comes maybe once in a generation, if that. Things move at a glacier’s pace in Springfield. Until January, Illinois’ income tax rate hadn’t been increased in 22 years. And that increase came 20 years after the tax was first imposed.

Illinois was the first state to legalize sodomy between consenting adults, in 1961. Chicago outlawed discrimination against gays 26 years later. But Illinois’ anti-discrimination law wasn’t updated until 2005. And it took another six years to pass the civil unions law.

Twelve years ago, in 1999, Anthony Porter was a mere 48 hours away from being executed when he was found to be innocent of the crime he was alleged to have committed.

Gov. George Ryan’s spokesman initially said the system had “worked,” even though two other Death Row inmates had been exonerated just months before. But then Ryan stepped in and convened a summit. The following year, Ryan placed a moratorium on executions and commuted the sentences of all Death Row inmates to life in prison. That moratorium has stayed in place for 11 years.

I was a columnist for the old Daily Southtown back in 1999 and I wrote about the Porter case.

“Don’t kid yourself,” I cautioned, “that the death penalty will be abolished in this state any time soon. Passing bills in the Legislature is a numbers game. And the numbers just aren’t there for getting rid of capital punishment.”

Back then, public opinion overwhelmingly favored the death penalty. Support has dropped a lot since, but as of last year, 56 percent of Illinoisans still wanted to see Ryan’s moratorium lifted, according to a Paul Simon Public Policy Institute poll.

The way I explained things in that long-ago column was that legislators would never touch an “80 percenter.”

When 80 percent of voters oppose something, they are far more likely to base their vote on that one issue. Because opposition to the death penalty has since dropped far below that threshold, it became a bit easier to “do the right thing” without losing the next election.

And that’s why a “concealed carry” bill has a chance of passing in the next year or so. Downstate voters are far more conservative than those in the Chicago region. The death penalty is still supported by a big majority in that region. And lots more people oppose civil unions and tax increase than they do in the Chicago Sun-Times’ circulation area.

So, in order to chill out tons of very angry “80 percenters” and secure their legislative majorities, the General Assembly’s Chicago Democratic leadership may eventually have to swallow hard and pass a bill to allow some folks to carry concealed weapons.

Downstate Democratic legislators are screaming for the bill as a way to help them throw some much-needed red meat at their furious constituents.

Those three huge bills which were signed into law this year couldn’t have passed until after the election. Lots of “lame ducks” were used to pad the total, while others crossed their fingers and hoped voters would calm down before the next go-around. So the Democrats may choose to wait until after next year’s primary (their “real” election) to do something.

Governing is always a balancing act, and the scales have been tipped so far in one direction that another very large, “once-in-a-generation” law may have to be passed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2011 — Sun-Times Media, LLC

I wouldn’t blame you if you thought things are moving way too fast at the Illinois Statehouse. Civil unions, an income tax increase and then, Wednesday, the death penalty abolition law. But change like this comes maybe once in a generation, if that. Things move …Read More click on link-

http://www.suntimes....gop-a-bone.html

RICH MILLER

capitolfax@aol.com

Last Modified: Mar 11, 2011 02:11AM

I wouldn’t blame you if you thought things are moving way too fast at the Illinois Statehouse.

Civil unions, an income tax increase and then, Wednesday, the death penalty abolition law.

But change like this comes maybe once in a generation, if that. Things move at a glacier’s pace in Springfield. Until January, Illinois’ income tax rate hadn’t been increased in 22 years. And that increase came 20 years after the tax was first imposed.

Illinois was the first state to legalize sodomy between consenting adults, in 1961. Chicago outlawed discrimination against gays 26 years later. But Illinois’ anti-discrimination law wasn’t updated until 2005. And it took another six years to pass the civil unions law.

Twelve years ago, in 1999, Anthony Porter was a mere 48 hours away from being executed when he was found to be innocent of the crime he was alleged to have committed.

Gov. George Ryan’s spokesman initially said the system had “worked,” even though two other Death Row inmates had been exonerated just months before. But then Ryan stepped in and convened a summit. The following year, Ryan placed a moratorium on executions and commuted the sentences of all Death Row inmates to life in prison. That moratorium has stayed in place for 11 years.

I was a columnist for the old Daily Southtown back in 1999 and I wrote about the Porter case.

“Don’t kid yourself,” I cautioned, “that the death penalty will be abolished in this state any time soon. Passing bills in the Legislature is a numbers game. And the numbers just aren’t there for getting rid of capital punishment.”

Back then, public opinion overwhelmingly favored the death penalty. Support has dropped a lot since, but as of last year, 56 percent of Illinoisans still wanted to see Ryan’s moratorium lifted, according to a Paul Simon Public Policy Institute poll.

The way I explained things in that long-ago column was that legislators would never touch an “80 percenter.”

When 80 percent of voters oppose something, they are far more likely to base their vote on that one issue. Because opposition to the death penalty has since dropped far below that threshold, it became a bit easier to “do the right thing” without losing the next election.

And that’s why a “concealed carry” bill has a chance of passing in the next year or so. Downstate voters are far more conservative than those in the Chicago region. The death penalty is still supported by a big majority in that region. And lots more people oppose civil unions and tax increase than they do in the Chicago Sun-Times’ circulation area.

So, in order to chill out tons of very angry “80 percenters” and secure their legislative majorities, the General Assembly’s Chicago Democratic leadership may eventually have to swallow hard and pass a bill to allow some folks to carry concealed weapons.

Downstate Democratic legislators are screaming for the bill as a way to help them throw some much-needed red meat at their furious constituents.

Those three huge bills which were signed into law this year couldn’t have passed until after the election. Lots of “lame ducks” were used to pad the total, while others crossed their fingers and hoped voters would calm down before the next go-around. So the Democrats may choose to wait until after next year’s primary (their “real” election) to do something.

Governing is always a balancing act, and the scales have been tipped so far in one direction that another very large, “once-in-a-generation” law may have to be passed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2011 — Sun-Times Media, LLC

Well stranger things have happened lately, I wouldn't put any money on it though. When Minnesota passed a carry law 6 years ago I was amazed.

Anything north of I-80 needs to become its own state. Let downstate govern itself and use their taxes to better themselves, instead of that mess known as Chicago.

Of course the same thing could be said of the other urban centers in the US.

There was also a thread on officer.com about a National Concealed Carry permit, similar to HR 218 for LEO's. Even though I don't need it, I would support it 100%, but I can see Illinois, New York, California and Wisconsin standing in the way. Keeping my fingers crossed though! ;)

BSD

My daughter's next door neighbor is State Senator from the 10th District and has spoken to tons of people, including Police Officers backing this. I hope he follows his constituency and not Chicago political dogma....

Passing the law is just a first step. After that, you've got to get the bureaucrats to actually start issuing permits. Will it be "may issue" or "shall issue"? Next, you'll see Chicago-area officials defying the law and obstructing permit issue, or harrassing permit holders.

Culture changes hard.

Lemme step outside and see if any pigs are flyin...... <_<

Anything north of I-80 needs to become its own state. Let downstate govern itself and use their taxes to better themselves, instead of that mess known as Chicago.

Of course the same thing could be said of the other urban centers in the US.

Not everyone who lives north of I-80 lives in Chicago.

I talked to a guy who is politically active in Illinois gun rights and was at the state capital the other day. He said its going to pass but he knows there will be some restrictions. Its going to be one step at a time I believe.

There was also a thread on officer.com about a National Concealed Carry permit, similar to HR 218 for LEO's. Even though I don't need it, I would support it 100%, but I can see Illinois, New York, California and Wisconsin standing in the way. Keeping my fingers crossed though! ;)

BSD

Don't put Wisconsin in with those three! We should be getting our right to carry by the end of the year!

Two-Bit Charlie

Don't put Wisconsin in with those three! We should be getting our right to carry by the end of the year!

Two-Bit Charlie

Congratulations!

BSD

Not everyone who lives north of I-80 lives in Chicago.

Thats true.

A little background on myself. I lived in Il for my first 36 years, my Dad still farms in central Il.

Try to define "Chicago" though. Its the same with San Francisco, Los Angeles and I'm sure many of the urban centers.

To us down-staters (ex-in my case) we stand by the north of I-80 statement. Don't make you all bad but downstate is damn tired of sending their money north and being ruled by laws designed in the greater Chicagoland area.

This reminds of a conversation I witnessed between three state troopers two were from Moline on the west side of the state but north of I80. One was from southern Illinois. The southern trooper tries to gig the others by calling them Chicago troopers they quickly correct him by saying they are from Moline. The southern trooper says down here any thing north of I80 is Chicago. The northern troopers look at each other and reply simultaneously "where we are from anything south of I70 (mid state) is Kentucky". :lol:

This was just friendly rivalry much like a CAS match, but it does seem like the tail wags the dog more often than not.

Smoke

This reminds of a conversation I witnessed between three state troopers two were from Moline on the west side of the state but north of I80. One was from southern Illinois. The southern trooper tries to gig the others by calling them Chicago troopers they quickly correct him by saying they are from Moline. The southern trooper says down here any thing north of I80 is Chicago. The northern troopers look at each other and reply simultaneously "where we are from anything south of I70 (mid state) is Kentucky". :lol:

This was just friendly rivalry much like a CAS match, but it does seem like the tail wags the dog more often than not.

Smoke

Now that is a great story. :lol:

Good luck to all our Illinois pards, keep hounding your local reps, Rye

Archived