SASS Wire Forum

OT 30 cal carbine first handloads

Iron Pony

Figured I shoot large and small bore today so along with the 45-70 I brought the little universal carbine out and shot my first handloads out of it. X grains of 296 with a Rainer plated bullet seemed to shoot as well as the factory stuff I had on hand, lots of fun but I'm going to have to figure out some kind of brass deflector so they dont all wind up in the snowbank. Kind of like shooting an oversize 22 but I have two questions...

#1 Why does a 5 lb rifle have a 10+ lb trigger?

#2 Does anyone out there want to rent me, or loan me a primer pocket swedger? The GI brass has the worst crimp on it I've ever come across.

Sure wish the M1 folding stock would fit on this as I'd like to make this one a paratrooper model.

Pony,

If your going to be at the GNE meeting tomorrow I can loan you my (powered)swedging tool!

I've read that all .30 carbine ammo is non-corrosive.

Yep M1 Garand had corrosive primers. Most Carbine barrels are better than the Garand barrel because of this.

WJ

Hey Capt Morgan not sure if you'll get this before the meeting but I'd be happy to borrow that tool.

Capt Dan, I have a pair of the pocket reamer hand tools and use them on other GI brass like 45ACP and 7.62 but this stuff, WRA head stamp which I believe means Winchester Repeating Arms, is much heavier. I tried chucking the small pocket reamer in a Dewalt cordless drill and it was pretty much a zero joy process.

I'd thought about a go/nogo gauge or such in a drill press using a forstner style bit IF I could find one of the appropriate size. The Dillon looks good but its hard to justify spending the money to do about 400 rounds of brass.

I've read that all .30 carbine ammo is non-corrosive.

NOT TRUE! ALL foreign surplus should be treated as corrosive regardless of how it is marked. This is based on personal experience with both 30 Carbine and 30-06. While the powder itself may not be corrosive, the primers are. I have had a M1 Carbine barrel rust overnight after using surplus Korean 30 Carbine ammo.

Archived