SASS Wire Forum

Story time

I'd been away for longer than I cared to admit, but like iron is drawn to a magnet, my path slowly turned this way and that until I found myself back in Tennessee. I had little family left and most of my friends had long scattered away. If a place can pull at a man's soul I thought, it can only mean one thing and that is that he has a soul.

Of course, I chuckled at the thought that I might simply be delusional, which wasn't a completely foreign state.

I packed my knife and one pistol in my saddle bag, leaving only a single gun on my belt as I rode into Nashville. Even at that I left my frock coat on as I headed out towards the Hermitage and a small hotel where I would stay during my visit. I can't say I had true business here, but there was a will to be read and words to be spoken that were long overdue and yet they would go unheard. But I would say them, and move along.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, down the street, EE Taft steps off the train. This was the first time he had rode anything horse, train, wagon or the like east after landing in the west. But he had reason.......

As he stepped down he instantly receive a few hard stares. His hat sat crooked on his head, and a light linen duster flapped in the breeze. His shirt was a weathered but clean red button down with a banded collar wrapped in a black vest. A pair of tan tattered chaps and black britches covered in dust and the muddiest tall top boots ever seen were sporting an equally rugged pair of spurs. Over his shoulder was a worn government issue saddle and swinging from that an 1873 Winchester in a scabbard ready to fall to the ground....or so it seemed.

From his hips hung a pair of converted navies very clean looking in contrast to the way he looked. Taft on the other hand was rough looking. Shaggy hair, and a thick bushy mustache and unshaven on the rest of his face. He was new to the lawman business but no stranger in the least to a good fight.

As he stepped down and walked along the boardwalk a rather rough looking man began to reach toward him.........

WHACK!! Taft turns and catches the man on the jaw with a discreetly pulled revolver........ "I'm a bit further east than I care to be, mister, and I ain't in the mood to be pawed at."

The man, wide eye and dumbfounded says, "Mister, I thought you were gonna drop yer rifle. I was just tryin' ta help!"

Taft grins, "That rifle ain't fell off there in over twenty years. You wanna help? Listen up........Taft addresses the crowd......I'm lookin' fer men!

Just then the town marshall shows up, "And just who the hell are you? Ya don't come in here smackin' folks around."

Taft pulls back his duster to retrieve his can of tobacco and purposely exposes his US Marshall badge.......

"your a Marshall?" asks the town lawman. "Hell, ya don't look it."

Taft ignores the town marshall and turns his attention to the crowd. "There's a bad man lurkin' 'round these parts, name 'a Tommy Grisham. Kinda became known as Two Gun Grisham by folks after walkin' on to a train full of travelers and shootin 16 people dead. Since he's been known to a' killed alot of folks and built up a rather nasty bunch of followers, 'bout ten in all."

Taft stomps his boots on the boardwalk causing the town marshall to jump. Clods of dry mud pop loose and scatter as taft looks at the marshall with a grin.

"I'm lookin' for a few tough men to help me watch for him. And if need be, ta track 'em if they run. Any of ya look ta come along let the marshall here know. He'll point ya in my direction.

Taft turns from the crowd and wraps his arm around the marshall's neck. "You be sure and let me know when you find some willin' men, Marshall." Taft says. "And make sure they are willin', I want men I can trust."

Taft turns lose of the marshall's neck and says "You got a hotel 'round here?" "Yup", the marshall said,"But I'd stay clear of there. Ol' J. Mark Flint is checked in there right now."

Taft grins and says, "Ol' J Mark and I have had a few times where we've been pinned down by gun fire together, I 'spect he'll perk right up when he sees me. Where's that hotel?"

"It's right over 'cross the way."says the marshall.

Taft walks away,"Good, stay here and fetch my horse off the train. Bring him over to the hotel when ya get him."

The marshall looks at Taft's back with a cold stare, but then turns to find the horse....

Taft hollers from across the street as he walks through the batwings of the Saloon, "Don't forget to find me some men, Damn it!!

~EE Taft~

Indeed Sir, Great minds think alike!!

We'll run with both of 'em!!

Either they're twice as likely to get pulled or they'll last twice as long!

:lol:

~EE Taft~

That night the best of the cowboys rode into town. The plan by EE.s was the longest SASS cattle drive to CA... the men arriving that night included JJJ's on his black named "sapa to" by Deja for "Black Turqoise" in Lakota , JJJ's was one of the fastest guns in the state of Tx.. and his abiltiy to track a stray was well know in the indian nations as well as the cowboy nations, EEs. paint pawed the ground waiting for Yellowhhouse Sam on his paint.. Yellow house knew the country, every pass, every mountain and every watering hole... on his Line Back Dunn Yellowhouse was spectacular.. Flint was quick with a gun, but his knife was deadly and his horse a huge flea bitten grey stood out as one of the smartest mounts in the gang. The remaining gang rode in on a black, a paint, a sorrel, and a mahogany bay with chrome, and a blood bay.. that fronted the best cowboys in the west.. and everyone knew their allias...... EES.. took a deep breath as he looked at his gang.. Deja recalls he took a drink from his flask, and sat back looking real comfortable... Click bang he whispered under his bresthe.. Okay guys your turn.. I am out of ideas..

Grizz woke up with a start when Taft flug his saddle on the floor in the corner of the Saloon. By all appearances he was still mostly asleep with eyes mostly closes, but he was fully awake and trying to survey the situation.

Taft stood in front of him with a big ol' grin on his face. "C'mon Grizzer, wake up ya big sack of beans"

Grizz couldn't help but snort out a laugh as he sat up and stretched. "Take a load off Taft, looks like you've been a long time gettin here"

Yellowhouse Sam recognized Taft from his shadowy corner of the saloon. It was hard to think with Grizz snoring loud enough to put a buffler bellow to shame. So he'ed retreated to the back of the saloon and was steadily filing a new hand for one of his .44 conversions.

Lugging a bottle of Jamesons whisky toward him he exclaimed "Long time no see Taft, looks like ya healed up and haired over from that New Mexico fracas. Heard Grizz tell ya Flints here too....somewheres anyway. Good to see your old hide my friend so what kinda shenanigans are ya up to nowadays?"

"Healed up and haired over?.......Yeah." Taft says with a grin while pulling back the duster to reveal the badge. With a quick twist of the arm his shoulder grinds and pops. "Healed just fine Pard."

"C'mon Grizz, ya ain't that drunk and it looks like ya been gettin' plenty of rest right here on the floor. Go heel and I'll let ya in on the all the fun we're gonna have chasin' this bunch." Grizz stammers his way up off the floor and pulls his old wear out holster around from behind him and says,

"Go Heel?!?! why heck Taft, I'm always heeded......I'z just keepin' it safe from thieves 'er killers and such.

Taft smirks, "By layin' on it? Hell, sounds ta me like yer tryin ta bend it!" both men chuckle as Grizz shakes the sleep from his head.

Sam speaks up...."So, who's these bad men we're lookin' fer? If'n ya need my help I'm in."

"Well that'll do just fine, Pard" Taft says as he takes a pull from his flask. "Bad bunch 'a killers we're after. headed up by a boy name a' Tommy Grisham, Two Gun Grisham they call him. Young pup couldn't whip a wet towel as far as I'm concerned, but he sure does have some "Decent Folks" (Taft rolls his eyes :rolleyes: ) concerned. I don't think he could whip one a'us if we was all down with the pox."

Taft pulls at the flask again,"But they got the good folks so scared their askin the US cavalry to do something........."

"And they sent you?" comes a voice from up the stairs. Taft looks up to see J. Mark adjusting his britches after stepping out of the first room on the right, gunbelt hanging over his shoulder in a way so he could easily pull a pistol and go to work.

He steps down with a grin on his face, "Why, They'll be lucky if you don't burn down half the damn country lookin' fer 'em. How the hell ya been, Taft?

"I'll be better when I got them boys hog tied or dead across the saddle and I can point that paint horse of mine west again."

"I couldn't help but overhear that your lookin' for some help." J.Mark says, "I got some things to take care of here. I should be done soon. Of course, your in no hurry, are ya Taft?

................................................................................................................................

That's about all the creativity I have for the night. :lol: Help me out here, Boys! we need a plan of attack.........and a reason to attack........and a time and a place to attack! :lol:

~EE Taft

"Taft, me and Flint still carry papers out of Judge Parkers court in Ft. Smith verifying we are U.S. Deputy Marshals if that'll help. Plus, I guess I'm still good for a Texas Ranger Commission. So you call the shots and we'll back your play. Grizz is good a tracker as I've seen too. Besides, its getting pretty boring here listenin to Grizz snore and Flints run out of fresh women. Yep, we need to work the cobwebs out.

------------------

It hasn't grabbed me yet either Taft. Somebody decide when and where we are! ;)

(We are in Nashville Tennessee, circa late 1880's at the Nashville Inn overlooking the Cumberland River about 3 blocks from the former law office of Andrew Jackson )

I turned a chair backwards and sat down. "Tomorrow morning I go to the reading of a will, and as soon as business permits I am ready to head west."

(We are in Nashville Tennessee, circa late 1880's at the Nashville Inn overlooking the Cumberland River about 3 blocks from the former law office of Andrew Jackson )

I turned a chair backwards and sat down. "Tomorrow morning I go to the reading of a will, and as soon as business permits I am ready to head west."

The sun light hit the river with a glimmer.. flint reflected back to the reading of he will.. He swallowed hard, and held close to the holsters and belt from his grandfathers estate.. The dark black of the night did not do the justice, and he could see that in the new born light of the day. They were beautiful, as were the ivoyr handled guns that his grandfather spent his poke from years of hard labor on.. and now they belonged to Taft.. He rode on into the night ... thinking of his future and his past.. there were things that he would never tell a soul, and things that he could not wait to share.. the sun blinded him in the rapids of the river as he prepared his horse to swim to his destiny.

OK, Nevermind....I mistakenly thought we were out of Tennessee. :blink:

Well, I'll go back and edit to reflect you're not where we are out West. Where do you want us to be? Uvalde, TX; Ogallalla, NE; Cheyenne,WY or where? Before you make your mind up we're in Ft. Worth, TX.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hell boys, I thought I was in Nashville!

:lol::lol::unsure::blink::wacko:

Then we're all in Nashville watchin Dolly and waitin for Flint to give the word on where we're headed to. :unsure:

Now we're on the same page!! :lol:

Sorry to break up the story but I must say, Sam, J.Mark.........Some fine writin'!!

We should really write a book sometime.

Okay so where are we and what are we riding? Tennesse walkers are fine, but I need to know cuz of the color thingers.. lol

Grizz stood up suddenly and slid his hide out gun out of his sleeve and back inside his vest. Making full sure that Taft saw it, but not being in plain view of the rest of the Saloon.

"I gotta go see a man about a horse" Grizz mumbled as he half stumbled towards the door. He didn't move nearly as well as he once did, age, a rough life, and a fondness for good cooking had seen to that, but Taft and the others knew he wasn't nearly as stove up and his appeared to be.

Once out on the board walk he stretched and filled his lungs, "dang liquid air" he said to no one in particular. He was more than ready to be shed of this humid place.

Down the street he stopped at the sale coral at the livery. He started to try to crawl thru the rail and thought better of it and opened and closed the gate behind him. He checked several horses as he walked thru, settling in next to a palomino gelding. He was the color of butterscotch candy with a blond mane and tail any dance hall girl would be jealous of. He was strong and well muscled. Grizz checked his teeth and feet, the horse was well mannered as well. The liveryman was leaning on the top rail watching, and called out "might have something more your price range out back old timer. Grizz grabbed a handful of mane and launched himself onto the horse back and kicked him to a quick gallop and jumped the fence, leaving the livery man diving out of the way cussing up a blue streak. A quick gallop up and down the main street told Grizz was he already knew, he wanted this horse. The livery man was dusting himself off as Grizz slowed to a trot, then a walk and stopped next to him and slid off the horse.

"Now, you've already insulted me, I suggest you not try to rob me as well, how much for this horse?"

"two hun...."

Grizz's eyes narrowed

"I really can't let him for for less than one seventy five"

"One fifty, you'll throw in a used saddle and tack and re-shoe him" Grizz announced.

The livery man was a bit taken aback, but figured he was safe, "Cash only"

Grizz snorted, "wouldn't have it any other way" and pulled a wad of bills out of his pocket and peeled off enough to pay the man. Grizz picked out a well worn saddle and a bridle and put them in the corner of the barn. I'll be back in the morning, have a runnin iron hot, I want to put my brand on him, and I want it recorded on the bill of sale.

Grizz ruffled the hoses mane and said something into his ears and then walked back to the Saloon where the rest of the boys were enjoying a cigar and a bucket of beer. The horse was worth every penny of the 175, probably more.

The boys laughed as Grizz strode up, walking noticeably lighter in his boots.

"I thought that livery man was going to mess his drawers when you jumped the fence next to him" Taft called out.

Okay so where are we and what are we riding? Tennesse walkers are fine, but I need to know cuz of the color thingers.. lol

Its a surprise and only JMF knows! :ph34r:;)

BTW, if you haven't checked "The Last Dance" you're a rich widder woman that has the eye of a reformed gunman named Taft! :)

Okay.. never mind.. we are at Barbie and Kens house at a BBQ .. lol.. poor ole horse.. lol

Ya BBQed the horse?!?!? Grizz just got him bought!

:lol:

Ok 'nuff a' that.............................................................................................................

Taft sat along the wall watching the door. "Hey Grizz, I think that livery man just saw the error of his ways." Looking out the door Grizz sees the man standing in the street scaring up the nerve to walk in the Saloon. When he does he is met face to face with Grizz with his pistol holstered knowing the man would quickly have a change of heart. The livery man, wide eyed, with his colt at his side hammer down says,"listen mister, I think ya done me kinda raw on the horse out there." What's it to ya? Grizz replied,"I set my price, and you took it. Now go get ta work on that horse 'fore I skin another twenty dollars off ya." The man begins to tremble and without moving his head he rolls his eyes down to the gun he is holding. Shakingly he rests his thumb on the hammer...........

Sam, J.Mark, Deja and Taft all pull iron in the blink of an eye. Taft spits a shot of Copenhagen in the spitoon on the floor without taking his eyes off the task at hand, hitting the pan dead center and breaking the instant silence in the Saloon with a nearly ear shattering "TING!!" Just then, Grizz crosses his arms and grins, glairing the man right in the face. Taft speaks up,

"Listen here, Sonny!! I don't think you want this big man beatin' the sweet Jesus Hell outta ya, and I damn sure know ya don't wanna die over that old soap bone horse. Maybe ya best just make yer way back to the livery." The look on Taft's face, with his mustache curled and brows sharp looked almost devious, as if he was thirsty to spill blood.

The livery man wasted no time rushing backwards out the door falling on the the street from the board walk.

"Well folks" mutters out J.Mark," I got some plannin' ta do and some things to take care of. That, and I've had about enough fun for one day. See y'all in the morning."

"Now where do ya 'spose he's off to?" asked Sam. Just then a boy came in with a letter for Taft reading, "Grisham and his bunch are on the move, headed west." Taft scratched his head at the note and showed it to Sam.

Sam says" Well, ya wanna get after 'em?" "Naw" Taft replied, " them boys'll keep fer a while. I'd rather wait for J. Mark ta finish up his business here and have his head clear. We'll wait for him."

Grizz sits down beside Taft, "Soap Bone Horse?!?!, I paid good money fer him!" Taft grins and says, "I just didn't want him thinkin' that horse was worth him dyin' over, that's all. It's a fine lookin' animal, that's fer sure!

Grizz downs the mug of beer in front of him in one drink and slaps Taft on the back, nearly knocking him out of the chair.

"Big man, huh? hehehehe."

................................................................................................

~EE~

Grizz woke before dawn the next day, he never slept very well in town, much less a big city like this. The beds were a comfort to his old carcass. He'd sworn years ago never to come back this far East, but an urgent telegram from his aunt, whose husband had been killed had him on a train in short order. Much of the time he'd been there he regretted not bringing his horse, but the animal he'd just bought made up for that and then some. He'd gotten his aunt settled into a house in town, and had overseen the sale of his uncles modent holding which would take care of his aunt's needs the rest of her days. Their only child, a daughter was away in Europe and had been unable to get home yet.

Grizz was happy to be leaving, hopefully whatever the boys had brewing wouldn't take him too much off a trail back West. Not that Tennessee was a bad place, he'd been much worse, but his heart was in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado Territory.

When he got to the livery, the fire was hot with a runnin iron on it, and the stock was all fed. Kid is a hard worker Grizz thought. He wondered when exactly he'd gotten so old as to call a man in his mid to late twenties a kid. His Palomino trotted over to greet him and Grizz gave him a sugar cube out of the pocket of his duster, yup, this was a great horse. He checked the shoes and they'd been done well, which was a darn sight better than who ever had shod him before.

Grizz found the livery man inside the barn tending to the injured foreleg on a bay, one of the rental horses probably. Grizz watched as the man cared for the animal with the tenderness many didn't show their children.

"I've come for my horse" Grizz announced, in a tone not nearly as gruff as he'd used the previous day.

"Iron should be hot and I'll finish the bill of sale in the office after Iknow how to draw your brand" the man said without looking up.

Grizz put the iron to the horse and saddled him. The livery man brought out the bill of sale, copied the brand onto it, signed it and handed it to Grizz.

"I trust you leaned a few things yesterday boy, you've got sand, see that it don't get ya dead" and with that statement, Grizz flipped him a double eagle and rode off to the Saloon to find Taft and the others. He hoped J. Mark's business wouldn't take too long, he was ready to be shed of this humid place.

As Taft and I sipped on our drinks, I pondered a bit and remarked,"You know Taft, I was born in North Carolina, educated in Louisiana, and spent a great deal of my life in Texas and other states. Now, I'm proud of Tennessee and its sure pretty but damn there is getting to be entirely too many people in the East. Like rats in a cage. How the hell did we all wind up here anyway?

Taft grinned,"I'm just along for the ride I guess cause theres lowlife misfits everywhere. Hopefully, Flint'll winds up his affairs soon."

"Well, Grizz was bound and determined to buy a horse right off. Don't know why cause its highly likely we'll ride a train starting out. I'm bored just sittin around. What say we sashay down to that gunshop on the corner...fellow told me they were getting some new Sharps rifles in that don't have a hammer. Can you imagine that?"

Grizz caught up with Sam and Taft on the way to the gun shop.

"C'mon Grizzer, you need a new gun, ya know ya do" Sam chided him.

"Need, not really, want, always" Grizz answered back. If nothing else he did need some cartridges and shells. Who knew what the next few days or weeks would hold, but when Sam, Taft, and especially J. Mark got together, there most likely was going to be some shooting.

Grizz tied off his horse in front of the Saloon, loosened the cinch a notch and followed Sam and Taft. Sam was rambling on about some new rifle with no hammers, yeah right.

"Thats quite a rifle son." Sam remarked as he handed the 1878 model Borchardt Sharps back to the clerk. "Seems like a good idea but Sharps is bout a day late and dollar short trying to push a buffler rifle when the only herd left is in Montana and it won't last long."

The clerk came right back. "That may be true sir but this model is unequaled on the target range and is highly sought after for sportsmen seeking to go West in pursuit of elk and bear. It is available in configurations that shoot British type express loads as well."

"Who cares!" snapped Sam. "What I already have will do fine! What else ya got? Repeaters in heavy caliber?

"Only the Marlin, model 1881, and the for those inclined, we have two consequtive numbered presentation deluxe models in 45 government caliber. They were, ah shall we say, meant for the more gentile sportsman and they are expensive. You see the esquisite craftsman ship, engraving, gold inlays, and figured wood."

Sam was losing patience and near strangling the pompous salesman. "So how much?

"Sir, those unique rifles we can offer you at the price of $700 and that is a bargain considering it was special ordered for dignitaries. Unfortunately, the customer met an untimely and recent death."

"Give you $600 for them and 200 rounds of ammo. And thats my bottom offer. Take or leave

it."

The clerk feigned dismay, fidgeted for a moment, and then sighed deeply. "Sir, I will accept that offer but only in gold coin."

Sam immediately produced a voucher and presented it to the clerk who strutted like a turkey in heat to show it to the store owner. A stern rebuttal to the clerk sent him red faced back to the counter. "Yessir, Mr. McAlister we'll have the rifles properly cleaned and ready for you within the hour."

Taft gawked at the sudden and very expensive transaction. "What in hell are you gonna do with one much less two of those Marlin leverguns...bribe a politician?

"Nope, Grizz ain't got a long range rifle and I'm making a gift to him. The other is yours cause I want good pards with firepower watchin my back on this shindig. Otherwise, I'm gonna be late in the season getting to Mobeetie, TX. Got urgent business there."

And then he stomped out of the gunshop leaving Grizz and Taft dumbfounded.

-------

Christmas came early fellers, enjoy! :lol:

Marlin 1881

Grizz and Taft stood there with their jaws hanging open. Looking at each other, then back to the rifles that had just been gifted them.

"Damn"

"Damn indeed" Taft replied.

"I think we best catch up with him and buy him a drink or something" Grizz said as he headed for the door.

It was half a block before they caught up with Sam, who was still enjoying their reactions.

"Damn it Sam, if I go around with that rifle, folks is gonna think I'm some whore house floozy" Grizz said.

"Or one of them 'Gentleman Sportsman' that clerk was jawing about" Taft added.

"Even worse" Grizz growled.

Sam just laughed and kept walking, he was indeed enjoying this.

I did find a values page that didn't even show a value for the factory engraved, or the special order deluxe factory engraved rifles, fouth down the line was valued at 21k however. I need to find a case or two, packed in oil, along with a bunch of original colts, then I'd be set for a while. I daydream about finding a cache of guns like that up at our family mountain land....

I'm speechless Sam, Just speechless............

I can't even come up with my next installment.........

Too busy cleanin' up the drool puddle.

:blink:

~EE Tasft~!

See there, I even fergot how ta spell my name! :wacko:

~EE Taft~

Heck fire Taft, I know what cha mean, I'm off surfing up what a 45-70 round looks like, and where to find dies and cases. :D

Grizz bought Sam a bottle of the best the Saloon had to offer and a cigar and headed down the the mercantile to buy a new scabbard for that fancy rifle. He wanted a covered one, not only to protect the rifle, but to keep folks from seeing what was in it. There was a scabbard with that used saddle he'd bought with the horse, but it was in rough shape, and already housed Grizz's well worn 73.

Dang it guys do I have to be the widdow women???? lol.. Can't I be some dumb princess without all the past? lol.. okay fine.. the answer is no.. lo.l. the BBQ horse was good, the set of ivoy clad was even better.. Deja. slid into position and the men moved forward.. She knew they would make her stay behind.. unless they needed her.. and she accepted that cuz it is the cowboy way.. She kept the camp fires going as her friends rode off into the night.. they were armed, and they all had reputations of being the fastes guns in the west.. AMBA.. she uttered under her breath.. Colapi... with a sigh.. she reapeat it in english.. Good bye Friends... Amba Colapi... And then smiles as she had place more food and shells into the saddle bags than thet had asked for.. The adventure waqs beginning.. She turned in, removing her bead mocs.. and spun her dream catcher.. tonight she would dream...

Rye was outside Nashville trackin down a cold blooded killer. The "Roper" they called him and the reward was $500.00 Dead or Alive. Rye turned to bounty hunting recently as his old pard Pinto Kid suggested he might be good at it. "Yer like a pit bull Rye, you never let go". Rye had been trackin Roper fer weeks now, all the way from Arizona to Tennessee. He got word that Roper had stopped in a town outside of Nashville and Rye knew he was following the right tracks. Armed with his Colt .44-40's and a 73 rifle he rode his black roan that he trained from since he was a colt. This was his favorite horse and felt a bonding with Ol' Night as he called him.

He heard there was some old pards of his in Nashville and he looked forward to seeing them after he got Roper and turned him in. He would try to take him alive but there was never any guarantee of that.

Grizz found the scabbard he was looking for, and bought several hundred more 45-70 rounds, along with coffee, sugar, flour, beans, garlic, chewing tobacco and a few other trail staples. The scabbard would stick out like a dandy in a cowcamp on Grizz's saddle, so he took it out back and scuffed it up in the dirt as best he could, which helped some. As an after thought, he went back into the store and bought some candy, and sugar cubes for his new horse, dang, he needed to find a name for that horse, but he reckons the horse would let him know what suited him in due time.

ok fellers, have at it, I got chores to do today, laundry, painting, and up to mom's to help her with some stuff.

As I rode behind the herd of cattle, I thought of all I had to over come to build the "Double Snake Ranch." Wasn't much of a spread, but it was enough for me. As the cattled mooed and slowy moved along, I thought of how a breed like me, came to be the owner of a ranch in the middle of Apache land.

I had agreed to the Apache people, that they could take as many cows as needed to feed the tribe. And in return, they would allow my herd to graze on their lands. I would fight with and for them, if need be and they would do the same with me. Thus the brand, 2 rattlesnakes slithering along together. The brand is on all my cattle, corral posts, horses, ect. So, to the Apache, I am a brother.

As I rode, I was thinking bout the past, how I could have changed it , and if I wanted to, and how the out come would be differant than know.

Archived