SASS Wire Forum

Advice on a possible Stoeger purchase

Captain Bill Burt

I've heard of Stoeger Condor O/U, but not SxS. It has a 20' barrel light wear on the blueing and a few scratches on the stock and I can get it for $225. It will likely end up as a back up, but for now I'm hurting for a shotgun to fill out my gear. Anyone heard of a Condor like that or has he misidentified it? Either way any thoughts on the deal?

Thanks,

Side by side Stoegers have been either "Coachgun" or an "Uplander" back as far as '89 when I bought my Uplander. AFAIN, the "Condor" has always been their O/U.

I'm no expert, but that's what I thought too. I think this guy just doesn't know what he has. The price is decent, but he's trying to get some of it back by charging $40 for shipping. So I'm on the fence on this one but based on his feedback (sometimes slow to ship and with attitude problems) leaning toward just buying one new and paying the extra $100.

leaning toward just buying one new and paying the extra $100.

Last time I was in Academy theyt were selling new Stoegers for $339. Your guy is 225, plus 40 shipping, plus whatever your FFL charges to receive it for you. I'd say you'll wind up around $300 used, might check and see what they go for locally.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=company/locator/map#Georgia

Don't forget the recent thread here that mentioned the Baikal's will soon be available again. Many prefer this one over the Stoeger. They should be in the same ballpark price wise.

I guess the jist of what I am saying is don't feel pressured to by something from someone just due to price. There are lots of deals to be had.

When in doubt, don't.

If the guy can't properly identify the gun and has bad feedback on performance, I wouldn't deal with him. I think you'd be ahead by buying from a local dealer or seeing what's available at a show.

You should check the comments on line about the Condor. There is a major problem with the lower barrel not working right on them. The first I heard of it was in a post on this forum. My guess is the problem is the same as with the SxS. The firing pins may be soft. I wouldn't buy one until they solve that problem.

Regards

Cherokee Gambler

I'm no expert, but that's what I thought too. I think this guy just doesn't know what he has. The price is decent, but he's trying to get some of it back by charging $40 for shipping. So I'm on the fence on this one but based on his feedback (sometimes slow to ship and with attitude problems) leaning toward just buying one new and paying the extra $100.

Was at Sportsmans Warehouse today, blue Stoeger 2 trigger coachgun - $349 + tax. In the Silverado version $379 + tax

I recently shipped a SG off to be worked over - Priority mail + $1200 insurance - $28

They are out there in an affordable version if you are patient.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW My Dad always said if your gut don't feel right about a deal, it is probably not a good deal for you

Archived