SASS Wire Forum

AWA Guns

Thaddeus O'Malley

Hi, they definitely ARE in business. Russell is busy and email is the best way to contact. rustyguns@nxs.net

FYI, AWA-USA, Puma, Great Western II, & Charles Daly (imported by KBI, now out of business) are all made in Italy by Pietta. They are all the same guns, with the exception of the brand name on top of the barrel. Quality is excellent in all respects. They are the closest you'll get to a 2nd generation Colt SAA w/o being a Colt. Some parts are interchangeable.

When the AWAs first came out in 2000 they were made by Armi San Marcos and they were hit & miss in quality. Finish work was done by AWA @ their Fla facility. I bought a pair of Peacekeepers and one was as close to perfect as man can make anything. The other had to be replaced because the cylinder was 10,000 out of concentricity. Russell Simpson was then the company gunsmith and he paid return shipping for my defective gun. Never had anymore problems with either gun.

About 2002 AWA Inc got into some big problems among them being a legal dispute over the name Peacekeeper. Colt claimed that their SAA had been known as the Peacemaker for over 100 years and the name Peacekeeper was infringing on one of their trade names. The suit was settled with Colt & AWA agreed to drop the PK name.

About that time AWA came out with a Lightning rifle, which like most of the others at that time, was a dud. Then shortly thereafter Armi San Marcos folded. Not long afterwards Russell bought out the previous owner(s) and renamed the company AWA-USA and found a new manufacturer, Pietta. The AWA is now a top quality sixgun and the Lightning has been greatly improved. I would not hesitate to purchase any SAA made by Pietta regardless of the name on top of the barrel. Until recently I owned a pair of Charles Dalys in 7 1/2" barrel but sold them and bought a pair of 5 1/2" Great Western IIs because I wanted the shorter barrels.

FYI, AWA-USA, Puma, Great Western II, & Charles Daly (imported by KBI, now out of business) are all made in Italy by Pietta. They are all the same guns, with the exception of the brand name on top of the barrel. Quality is excellent in all respects. They are the closest you'll get to a 2nd generation Colt SAA w/o being a Colt. Some parts are interchangeable.

When the AWAs first came out in 2000 they were made by Armi San Marcos and they were hit & miss in quality. Finish work was done by AWA @ their Fla facility. I bought a pair of Peacekeepers and one was as close to perfect as man can make anything. The other had to be replaced because the cylinder was 10,000 out of concentricity. Russell Simpson was then the company gunsmith and he paid return shipping for my defective gun. Never had anymore problems with either gun.

About 2002 AWA Inc got into some big problems among them being a legal dispute over the name Peacekeeper. Colt claimed that their SAA had been known as the Peacemaker for over 100 years and the name Peacekeeper was infringing on one of their trade names. The suit was settled with Colt & AWA agreed to drop the PK name.

About that time AWA came out with a Lightning rifle, which like most of the others at that time, was a dud. Then shortly thereafter Armi San Marcos folded. Not long afterwards Russell bought out the previous owner(s) and renamed the company AWA-USA and found a new manufacturer, Pietta. The AWA is now a top quality sixgun and the Lightning has been greatly improved. I would not hesitate to purchase any SAA made by Pietta regardless of the name on top of the barrel. Until recently I owned a pair of Charles Dalys in 7 1/2" barrel but sold them and bought a pair of 5 1/2" Great Western IIs because I wanted the sh

That octagonal barrel pistol looks interesting. Never seen one before. Hmmm..........just what I need another PAIR of sixguns!:lol:

Archived