SASS Wire Forum

Target Sequence

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

Just out shooting a little and it came to me, a question that is? I know target size and distance would make a difference, but lets say we use recommended SASS target size and distance what do you think are the most time consuming sequences for, pistol, rifle and shotgun?

I will start for pistols I think a continous nevada sweep

Rifle I think a 10 rounds alternating between two targets about 10 yards apart.

Shotgun I think any run with a popper or two in the sequence

What say you?

Thanks

KK

FOR rifle and pistol:

5 targets, this position::

[.].......[.]

.....[.]

[.].......[.]

(I had to use dots (.....) to keep the target positions correct when showing on my post)

starting from any corner, with first 5 shots, do a diagonal sweep

then with next 5 shots, start on another corner and do the other diagonal sweep

Can Not start on the middle target.

Shooters are use to shooting and moving their firearms side to side. We don't do alot of diagonals and high/low stuff.

Anyhow, I love this setup but it does tend to change my shooting style alittle.

NOTE: if you allow the shooter to start in the middle, it 'can' allow for a quicker time. The rifle can double tap the center target and of course, the Gunfighter can also double tap. Alittle time can be gained if starting on the middle.

It pretty much takes about 3.5 to 4.0 seconds to run this setup with both pistols. :lol::lol:

Anyhow, this is just my opin, based on some of my limited shooting experiences.

..........Widder

Sweeps which cannot be summarized by a simple statement, but have to be described by target number, are hard to get a pattern built into your memory. So, it has to be shot by running through the number sequence in your head, and translating that to your shot. This is both slow, and prone to P on. Then, you see a pard shoot it quickly, and you find out he has either practiced it a lot, or spotted a pattern that you did not see.

Reactionary targets where the reaction is slow and you MUST wait on the reaction to shoot the next target build in a lot of forced wait time. Bird throwing poppers are a prime example, as you mentioned. Another is knockdown-must-go-down-before-next-target-can-be-engaged knockdown sets. Or front-to-back-knockdowns where you can't see any target but the front one, which falls to reveal the next target, etc.

Then you have partially obscured moving targets (swingers, travelers) which have certain locations that prevent firing at the target (swinger going behind a cannot-shoot-target) or a slider starting out behind a berm and coming out into view.

A Nevada sweep is slow for pistol or rifle? Nope, not if you practice it. There's lots worse. Alternating between two? That's even faster.

Good luck, GJ

Howdy,

Just out shooting a little and it came to me, a question that is? I know target size and distance would make a difference, but lets say we use recommended SASS target size and distance what do you think are the most time consuming sequences for, pistol, rifle and shotgun?

I will start for pistols I think a continous nevada sweep.

For me it would be outside, outside, inside, inside, center. repeat. (1-5-2-4-3) Particularly if the stage writer did not allow you to cut the corner

That would be one but my above sweep has more "thought" time (which for me always takes a while :lol: )

I have timed myself and can definately say I spend more time waiting or acquiring the popper than actually shooting the KD

What say you?

Thanks

KK

Regards

:lol:

Gateway Kid

The cowpoke that started this thread is the Match Director at our club. A question like this makes me nervous for February.....

The cowpoke that started this thread is the Match Director at our club. A question like this makes me nervous for February.....

Be afraid! Be very afraid!! :lol:

Regards

:lol:

Gateway Kid

The actual "shooting" time differences are inconsequential. the transitions are not. If you are trying to build a slow stage then split the pistols, fire the rifle at the extent of the SASS recommendations and have three or four pairs of shotgun targets, one pair fired between other guns. Example: Shotgun,pistol, shotgun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, shotgun.

If you are just looking for the slowest sequence.........? I shoot most of them pretty slow.

For rifle and pistol, two targets each set as far apart as possible and still in the SASS recommended distances. For shotgun, just require movement between each shot or pair. For variety, add another gun in between each shotgun pair. Any match director that does this regularly would probably be fired tho.

I think alternating between targets widely spaced will run up the time for rifle and revolver (less so for the gunfighter).

Watch out for the assumption on the poppers. There are a few out there that can activate the popper, shoot something else and come back for the flying target.

Cheers,

BJT

Howdy,

I will start for pistols I think a continous nevada sweep

What say you?

Thanks

KK

I've shot the rifle portion of stages with 10 numbered targets, placed in random order, that you had to shoot in proper numerical order, or earn a procedural.

Worked well and made it interesting.

Archived