SASS Wire Forum

1911 update

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

Went back to handle the Colt and Remington today. The used Series 80 Colt ended up being only $40 more. Both guns felt good, but the trigger pull felt sort of vague/spongy on the Remmie by comparison. Not a lot, but noticeable. Wasn't a deal breaker by any means, just something I noticed.

What did it for me is the Colt is like new inside and out. No way for someone like me to tell, but I doubt 100 rounds have gone through it.

Now the fun of learning how to shoot it begins! I'm a newbie to semi-auto pistols and have never owned one of any kind. Now I got a Colt. Yeeha!

Thanks for everyone's input the last couple of days.

Use it in good health. One area I've found to be particularly important with the Government Model 1911 is the magazines. I use mags from Wilson Combat and have no complaints, but there are alternatives out there that I've heard are just as good. I've used them with and without guide rods too, and not noticed much difference between the two setups.

Colt made the original. Congratulations! I had one years ago, a Gold Cup, and it was a shooter.

Now the only 1911 I have is an STI Spartan. Another great gun.

Again, congrats and enjoy. If you have feeding problems, try different mags before you do anything else. Chip McCormic mags are very good.

Colt made the original. Congratulations! I had one years ago, a Gold Cup, and it was a shooter.

Now the only 1911 I have is an STI Spartan. Another great gun.

Again, congrats and enjoy. If you have feeding problems, try different mags before you do anything else. Chip McCormic mags are very good.

Also, if you keep getting stove pipes or other feeding problems make sure you have a stiff wrist when you shoot. If you weak wrist it you will have feeding problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I own three 1911's, all Colt's. All shoot great. Two Series 70 and one Series 80, but them little parts tend to get lost during re-assembly so now the Series 80 is a Series 70 type also. Them little lawyer parts weren't needed in WW1, at Normandy, Berlin or the South Pacific.

I've got two Colt Government Models: a series 70 in 45ACP and an older 38 Super.

I have stainless mags for both: Chip McCormack for the 45 and Wilson Combat for the 38.

One the days i am shooting the 38 i can legitimately say i am a super shooter. :D

You do know that these pistols are single action? :D

Use it in good health. One area I've found to be particularly important with the Government Model 1911 is the magazines. I use mags from Wilson Combat and have no complaints, but there are alternatives out there that I've heard are just as good. I've used them with and without guide rods too, and not noticed much difference between the two setups.

Yer right Capt., any magazine that doesn't have the Colt pony on the bottom or is not a Wilson Combat, or Chip McCormack I stay away from. Rye

Archived