SASS Wire Forum

Travel by car

Tom Muley

A few years back I drove from Los Angeles, CA to Portland, Oregon (about 1000 miles) one day, slept about 4 hours, then headed back home. Made it about 600 miles home and called it quits, was jsut too sleepy to continue. Stopped at the next Motel 6 and finished driving home the next day.

Me and BlueJeans regulary drive to Illinois, Momence, 50 miles south of Chicago, about 1200 miles straight through. About 15 to 17 hours. MT

WOW! 1200 miles in 15 hours is an average pf 80mph, 17 hours is 70.5mph. That's average, you must have been hitting over 100mph on some stretches.

Anything around 15 hours is my limit by car. I've found that the key to making miles is shorter stops. A range of 4-500 miles on a diesel rig is longer than my bladder can stand, but a quick pit stop someplace (anyplace out west) beats the heck out of 1/2 hour to 45 minute fuel station breaks.

On the bike I've done 1187 backed by 897. But, you better have absolutely nothing to do the next day. I drove straight thru to a sporting skins match in Cally once and got in just in time for my squad. It would have been better had I just stayed home.

Philadelphia, PA to Las Vegas, NV. 2,500 miles in 36 hours only stopping for gas.

Okay, it was the wife and I in a motor home. When one was driving the other was in the back sleeping. It was still non-stop. :blush:

Longest solo trip was 20 hours from Benton Harbor Michigan to just north of St Johnsbury VT. Heard gas was cheaper in Canada and the speed limit higher so I crossed over at Detroit/Windsor and took what IIRC was the queens highway all the way to Magog then turned south and didnt stop till I found a little motel with the front desk light on. Woke the manager up at 0400 hours slept till about noon and finished up with about 4 hours to the final destination. I was much younger then and would not attempt anything so foolish again.

800 miles on my own is the best I can do. My sister and I drove one from IL to AZ in about 24 hours... we drove non-stop except for gas and breaks to eat or go to the bathroom. My oldest sister lost her son on the freeway in AZ. I was in IL and my sister wanted to come out.. we had little time to get there for the funeral, she refused to fly, so we flew by car... it was tough, I drank more ice tea than I care to admit. the last day I drank and ate only bread crumbs my stomach was so upset from the caffeine..lol.. So, 800 is the best I can do then I pass out.. and when I am tired it is pretty much over with. I can fall alseep in the middle of a word.. lol... And I can sleep any place including sitting up in a car seat.. lol.. When I am behind the wheel I do not sleep, but as a passenger, when it is over, it is over with for me.. lol

Longest for fun is between Long Island and Iowa a few times. About 18 hours, 1100 miles.

Longest for a job was delivering pets (mice, birds, lizzards and such). Used a mini-van so DOT wasn't an issue. One day I was out for 20 hours, off 4 then back out for 15 hours. When I asked about the overtime he didn't pay me for he said he didn't have to pay overtime because we went interstate. He wanted to use interstate trucking rules without following any annoying regulations like hours of service. I didn't stay at that place long.

Last week may have been the longest day at this job. 525 miles in 13 hours with 6 deliveries in NYC and the Hudson Valley, then a pick up in NJ.

i would take 10 days leave from the navy and leave the sub base in groton ct. and drive straight through to grand junction colo. for a one way trip of 2200 miles. i would leave friday night and be home sunday afternoon. then next weekend i would drive it back. i had a 1972 camero at the time that was made for driving on the interstate...but the speedlimit was 55. yuk.

after i got married my wife and i left groton and made the same trip in a 1983 CJ-5 with a soft top in december and came back to ct. in january. that trip taught us that CJ-5s were not so great on the interstate...on ice...with a soft top.

now that we are older we go from colo. to ct. in as many days as we need to...in a rv. the only way to travel.

Archived