SASS Wire Forum

LEO's in prayers for 2010

As we wind down 2010 please keep the family, friends, collegues of our law enforcement officers in your prayers. It's been a tough year for 'em.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Headlines/Default.aspx?id=1262490

GG ~ :rolleyes:

As we wind down 2010 please keep the family, friends, collegues of our law enforcement officers in your prayers. It's been a tough year for 'em.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Headlines/Default.aspx?id=1262490

I was just reading how crime is down to 1967 levels. This really worries me that the trend seems to be picking on our LEO"s now. These guys do so much for us so we can be safe and warm in our little homes at night. My heart goes out to them.... they deserve only the very best from us. They have my prayers always! Some people should simply be in our daily prayers, and they and their families are "some" of those people.. Thanks GG/s

I was just reading how crime is down to 1967 levels. This really worries me that the trend seems to be picking on our LEO"s now. These guys do so much for us so we can be safe and warm in our little homes at night. My heart goes out to them.... they deserve only the very best from us. They have my prayers always! Some people should simply be in our daily prayers, and they and their families are "some" of those people.. Thanks GG/s

Amen sister Deja!

What's really interesting is that more LEOs were killed in the line of duty during eras when crime was lower (1950s, etc.). This has been studied by a number of people, who have all concluded the "officer safety" movement beginning in the 1980s has largely reduced our LEOKAs. Think about it: As crime goes up, one would expect LEOKAs to go up with it, but that has not been the case until this year. We've mostly been reducing our LEOKAs despite the rises in crime (again, until now).

The difference, as I said, is the officer safety movement: The idea that training is important, focusing on tactics for traffic stops, pat downs, handcuffing procedures, approaching residences, clearing builidngs, weapons proficiency, etc. It all seems like basic police science to me, but my older brothers still see it as cutting edge. In their early days the police academy lasted 4 weeks and focused on the law. Now it lasts 26 weeks, followed by 15 weeks of field training, and focuses on a number of things but has a special emphasis on officer safety.

I agree that our society is much more violence prone than before, and much more likely to attack LEOs. In many circles, including where I work, harming an LEO or being harmed by one earns a person "street cred" (street credibility = more prestige in the eyes of their thug buddies). The big reason why our LEOKAs haven't spiked with this change in attitude is because we handle ourselves much more tactically, are better equipped, and better trained than previous generations of cops.

So when you hear of your police department slashing their training budget due to budget cuts, protest it! Training keeps cops alive.

All those things said, we have also lost something, too. My generation of cops doesn't know how to talk to people like older cops do. The old guys all know what's going on in their neighborhoods, and easily solve crimes just by talking to the right folks. My generation gets lost if the information isn't in a database, and will look at you funny if you suggest getting out of the car to talk to the hooker (fellow Lions, here's a hint: HOOKERS KNOW EVERYTHING). As you can tell, I spend a lot of time watching old timers.

So, Lions, get out and do some PT. Take your baton out of its holder and practice all your strikes and control holds. Practice weapons retention with a partner. SHOOT YOUR DUTY GUN AT THE RANGE! Check dark corners, move into an unknown situation slowly, suspect everyone, and WATCH THEIR HANDS!!!

we just lost a 38 year old State Trooper the other day, the guy who they say shot him had 18 arrest and was out on bond from a previous arrest and missed his hearing so there was a fresh warrant out for him. The probable cause was broken tail light. The equipment violations work fairly often. If someone won't take care of a $5,000 car they probably won't take care of a $15.00 license or anything else in their life. I got a bank robber with a tail light, an aggrevated child molester, a murderer as well as drunks and suspended license off a tail light or head light.

I miss being a policeman. my wife doesn't though.

So when you hear of your police department slashing their training budget due to budget cuts, protest it! Training keeps cops alive.

Same feeling here!!

GG ~ :blink:

Cops (Military and Civilian) need to be in prayers daily (as well as Military in general). We take a lot for granted, and without these folks, life would be a little harder.

Yup!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My Department lost 6 in 2010....

My Department lost 6 in 2010....

Oh Good Lord! I thought 2006 was bad when we lost 2, one of which was a close friend of mine. That is a night I will never forget, more horrible than anything I ever saw in combat.

My heart goes out to you Smoke.

This month is the two year anniversary of one of our new kids getting shot in the back of the head by a 14 year old 'troubled youth'. The attack was totally unprovoked, while the Officer was walking back to his car with some other Officers. Miraculously, he survived, and was in court to speak as his assailant was being sentenced. He'll never be the same, and most likely will not be able to return to street duty.

There just seems to be absolutely no respect whatsoever now-a-days . Back when I was a young Patrolman, the danger was still there, but at least there was some respect; It was borne of fear, but respect nonetheless. Oh well, instead of lamenting on how it used to be back in the day, I'll just say a prayer that these kids today continue to get good training and that it will work for them - just like it did for the Cops of my era.

:blink:

Amen to all the above posts. I subscribe and read www.policmag.com magazine often. It seems "kill a cop" and "suicide by cop" and "domestics" have changed very recently. I don't know if it's the change of times, the border wars or just blatant hate toward the law. Being a LEO is tough business I must say. Hats off to ya, stay safe. Latest

Archived