SASS Wire Forum

550 primer explosions?

Tomboy

Hi,

:)

Re. current post: heard about the 650; but does this happen with the 550?

I certainly hope not.

I've had several primers pop when seating on a 550. Never had a tube full go up. One reason I like 550s, although I use a 650 a lot.

As you have noted, the tube is a long way away from the seating position. That does not mean that you can get careless. Wear good protective equipment, especially eye protection, while loading!

Sympathetic detonation? Hmmmmpfh. I don't believe an individual primer will detonate anything. What will get a tube full going is when the hot gas/combustion particles from a fired primer makes contact with the priming compound of a fresh primer, or slams the unfired primer hard enough against some surface because of compression forces. So, what you do need to watch for is:

* keep primer tube and plastic tip clean

* keep primer cup well adjusted so it sits straight, at right height and does not crush a primer when it reaches under the tube for next primer

* keep tube/tip in good shape so you don't have a loose primer pop out of the tube and fall down where the slide pops it

Good luck, GJ

I have heard of it on the 550, granted the priming system is different than the 650, but it still can happen, never force something, that is my advice, if you force it then it could blow up just like the 650, just be careful, have 3 550's and it hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood, but I never force anything, if it looks like I have to force it then I stop and check it out, something is wrong in what you are trying to do at that moment.

All for now JD Trampas

Thanks, pards.

Agree with the don't force it practice. I load .223 practice rounds of various makes and keep my Super Swager next to the

550 for any resisting primer pockets.

Joe, "sympathetic detonation" was a term from my dim past relating to C4 proximity to other C4 upon exploding, probably doesn't apply here due to insignificant velocity.

I would imagine that Dillon is mute on this subject. :)

-T.

Joe, "sympathetic detonation" was a term from my dim past relating to C4 proximity to other C4 upon exploding, probably doesn't apply here due to insignificant velocity.

I would imagine that Dillon is mute on this subject. :FlagAm:

-T.

I alwasy thought a sympathetic detonation was when someone passes gas and you get the inclination also :)

Hi,

Re. current post: heard about the 650; but does this happen with the 550?

snip..

Thanks,

T.

Tomboy.. I kinda had the same thoughts..

I'm careful.. and I load with a 550... I've never had a problem :FlagAm:

I have had a primer put in upside down and seated in a piece of brass...

I've put it back into the depriming/priming position and ever so carefully and slowly pushed the live primer back out and reused it.. so far so good :FlagAm:

Rance :)

Yeah.. ya got me ta thinkin' agin'

I think this statement is incorrect. Dillon specifically designed their priming systems with a safety shield (outer tube) to help mitigate this type of accidental discharge.

You can read any Dillon manual here: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/manuals.html very informative and worth a read before making unfounded claims.

Dillon gives very specific instructions regarding problems that may arise with priming systems, including NOT FORCING anything. If it's jammed they tell you to spray it down with WD40 oil (to render the primers useless) throw away what ever parts are affected and call them for a FREE REPLACEMENT OF PARTS. I think Dillon is very serious about customer safety.

No matter how safe you make something, there can be an accident. We are talking about working with an item whose sole purpose is to cause a detonation right?

I would imagine that Dillon is mute on this subject. :)

-T.

Cord,

Am aware of Dillon recommended precautions. My "mute" comment refers to the very real problem with the 650. My discussions w. shooting pards re. 650 tube explsions go something the lines of "if it hasn't happened to you yet, it will."

I don't own a 650 as I love the versatility of my 550.

And I have great respect for the Dillon organization (just think of where we would be if there was no Mike Dillon). But I know from years in business that some problems are inherent in any given design and it's best not to dwell on that particular subject if you have no fix.

Nothing is perfect (except the 1911 :) ).

T.

Tomboy.. I kinda had the same thoughts..

I'm careful.. and I load with a 550... I've never had a problem :FlagAm:

I have had a primer put in upside down and seated in a piece of brass...

I've put it back into the depriming/priming position and ever so carefully and slowly pushed the live primer back out and reused it.. so far so good :FlagAm:

Rance :)

Yeah.. ya got me ta thinkin' agin'

You are kidding right, you would risk losing an eye for a piece of brass. that is what the trash can is for.

If we could have an instant video replay of an inadvertent primer detonation, we would find there is some form of operator error in most incidents. Operator error includes lack of maintenance and allowing some of the moving parts to miss-align.

We don't need to "fear" the 650. I run two of them almost constantly and don't feel there is any "if I haven't yet, I will" syndrome necessary. Keep it clean, keep it correctly adjusted and DON'T FORCE it. The worst I've managed to do in a few hundred thousand rounds is mangle the odd case. Knock on Wood!!

Coffinmaker

Archived