SASS Wire Forum

Puzzles about animals digestive processes

Alpo

A mammal carnivore will tear the hide off of his prey, and then eat the meat off the bones.

An owl will eat all of his prey and then regurgitate the bones and the skin.

A snake will swallow his whole - meat, fur and bones.

So question one is do other raptors do that, or is that simply owls? Do hawks and eagles, for example, tear their prey apart and just eat the meat and leave the bones and the skin behind?

Snakes. Do they digest all of that - the bones and the fur? Or do they regurgitate the stuff that they don't digest, or do they poop it all out?

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Do hawks and eagles, for example, tear their prey apart and just eat the meat and leave the bones and the skin behind?

Depends on the size of the critter. I've watched hawks and eagles rip chunks of meat off a large carcass, I've also watched them swallow a fish whole. What they can't digest (bones, etc) they'll regurgitate later.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Snakes. Do they digest all of that - the bones and the fur?

Snake digestion is pretty fierce. Guy lives near me used to raise cobras, told me once snakes'll digest everything except hair, claws, and fingernails. :o

Elementary school in the county called a guy to deal with snakes they'd seen near the kitchen dumpsters. When they moved the dumpsters and dug into the den underneath, they found a  half dozen or so balls of hair (snake poop). Word is it was easy to tell what the cat looked like from the fur in the poop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We must blame the Marshal. He posted a joke about a little girl going to the pet shop wanting to buy a "wittle wabbit", and saying that her python did not care what color his breakfast was.

And that had me thinking about the snake swallowing the rabbit, which led to the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

IMG_5122.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2