SASS Wire Forum

Open Range Test Run: Comparing Shooting 15' Pistol/30' Rifle to Shooting 30' Pistol/70' Rifle

Popcorn Kelly

As we announced on March 19th, Illowa Irregulars are incorporating a long-range option into our May 2024 Cowboy match. Our regular cowboy shooters will shoot a traditional 6-stage match at our standard target distance of about 12’ to 15’ for pistols and 30’ for rifles. However, we’ve added a third set of targets set to about 60’ to 70’ for those wanting an extra challenge of shooting a longer-range match.  Shooters choosing the long-range option at the May match will shoot the same 6 stages but will shoot their pistols at the 30’ targets and their rifles at the 60’+ targets.  Some of the 60’+ targets are likely to be just a bit smaller as well.  We’ve even created a new category for Cowboys/Cowgirls accepting the challenge – we’ve name it “Open Range.”

We tested the setup and am sharing it with you here.  The test consisted of a 3-target pistol/rifle stage at our normal distance, along with a third set of targets set at 70’.  We shot the stage once at our standard target distances (15’/30’) and then again at the long range (Open Range category) distance (30’/70’).  We even downsized the distant targets.

Five people participated in the test.  We recorded each shooter’s attempt at the normal and long-distance stage.  The video below shows what happened. 

Take a look and see how each fared.  Suffice it to say, the May match should be very interesting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I shot at an old school club a couple of weeks ago in Missouri,  pistol targets were 30-40ft and rifle targets were 75-80ft.  Had to perform a task on the clock on every stage.  Was a lot of fun!  Most of the matches I shoot are fast and close and that's what I like to do but this was a neat experience.  I think I only had one clean stage and my fastest was 32 seconds.  

• Like 4

Interesting idea.  Sounds like fun. 

There are still a bunch of shooters who like to shoot longer, harder targets.  Worth trying.  

• Like 2

As Sedalia Dave mentioned, there are several clubs in Texas doing this. Most call it “Sharp shooter”.  Something to remember is when a shooter shoots the “regular” pistol targets instead of the more distant “open Range (sharp shooter) targets it misses (for every shot on  incorrect target) not a P! (Ask me how I know!) 

another fun twist is to shoot Cody-Dixon, where you shoot the more distant rifle targets with a rifle caliber gun (45-70, 38-55, 30-30 being most common) pistols & shotgun are same as everyone else.  There are typically 6 rifle shots per stage. Separate categories for lever and Single Shot. Gives cowboys a chance to shoot different guns. 76s, 86s, marlin 95s, etc or Trapdoors,  hiwalls, Sharps   (Handi rifles not allowed!) 

Give it a try! 

• Thanks 1

It's mean to make people actually aim!  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2