SASS Wire Forum

I have joined the ranks of 16.

Well, I had a buncha gift cards for Cabela's that I got as bonuses from work.    So, today, I got this for "free."

Ithaca16.thumb.jpg.5071bf15184a3a550e2c692274d92746.jpg

It's an Ithaca 16 gauge.   Now, why this particular gun?  Well, I already have a modern Winchester Ranger in 16, but didn't really think it was worth tooling up to reload for.

But...  I had more than enough gift cards to buy this, so this gives me an excuse to get the things I need to load for 16 gauge.  And, I can get Cody letter for it.  :)

It's it pretty good shape, and I am looking forward to shooting it.   It's not as nice as a Parker, but what is?  Interesting thing is that the safety does not engage when you open the gun.  In fact, the safety is really stiff.  I can't even thumb it on.  Not that I'll worry about it.

• Like 4

I was at a gun show some years back and a guy had a really beat up Hunter Arms Fulton (Hunter arms bought up a lot of brands including Ithaca and LC Smith,  etc). He had a $150 on it make offer. I offered him $50. He balked and counted $75. Ok.  Barrels bent and dented in about 12 places.  I straightened out the barrels and hammered out the dents. The wood was painted with some kind of varnish that was yellowed nearly black and crinkled.  I stripped it off to find high grade wood.  The receiver had engraving.  It was a nice high grade gun in its time. Top gun before.  

5a26857eaa21f_HunterArmsFultonDec2017.jpg.cd92f65ea10c158cc238b3bbf77e62b2.jpg

5a26856f6a80a_HunterArmsFultonactionDec2017.jpg.dcac533571ea7c77787e555bc4266bea.jpg

5a2685899441e_HunterArmsFultonbuttDec2017.jpg.be30da10963582876dbe3a78efb230fc.jpg

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 2

In response to the above post.

It is obvious that after all that time you are still regretting the purchase of that badly dented firearm. I mean come on, all that scratching on the wrist area that is supposed to pass for checkering, no finish and I am sure lots of rust specks here and there.  I am willing to take it off your hand for 3 times what you paid for it AND I will pay shipping!  How can you pass up that deal!  I await your reply.

All kidding aside, nice rescue and revival.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caladisi kid said:

In response to the above post.

It is obvious that after all that time you are still regretting the purchase of that badly dented firearm. I mean come on, all that scratching on the wrist area that is supposed to pass for checkering, no finish and I am sure lots of rust specks here and there.  I am willing to take it off your hand for 3 times what you paid for it AND I will pay shipping!  How can you pass up that deal!  I await your reply.

All kidding aside, nice rescue and revival.  :)

I soon traded it in on something I wanted more.  Not considering my time, I made a good return.  

• Haha 1

While I have never really been a SxS guy, per se, I have to admit that over the years, a lot of people made a lot of interesting ones, from very simple to very fancy.  On the "collector" side of things, and I use the term in the sense of just acquiring  things that you find interesting, not for investment, there are a lot of fascinating things out there.  I have come to learn that there are just as many variations on the basic theme of double barreled shotgun as there are on lever action rifle.   If not more.

And what is even more enjoyable is that even things that were "high grade" guns back in the day can be obtained for a reasonable price if they are not all that pretty anymore, but still in shootable condition.  

Son Chris has become more interested in old guns. He worked on me for months to sell him one of my 10 gauge hammer doubles.  He wanted it to hunt pheasant,  ducks,  etc.  Last time he was down, we looked through my collection.  Of course,  he picked the oldest and best one I had. Remington Whitmore Lifter.  Then weaseled me out of 10 brass hulls. 

1509892183_RemingtonLifterleftsideMay2020.jpg.d1c01d14addad750ba1db8b148436644.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I hope you got a 16 gauge MEC on the way out the door! Cost of 16 gauge ammo in my neck of the woods is nutty compared to the exact same load in either 12 or 20 gauge. That said, 16 gauge is a classic, as is that double. Congrats.

3 hours ago, Vail Vigilante said:

I hope you got a 16 gauge MEC on the way out the door! Cost of 16 gauge ammo in my neck of the woods is nutty compared to the exact same load in either 12 or 20 gauge. That said, 16 gauge is a classic, as is that double. Congrats.

Nope.  I ordered 2 boxes of Magtechs, the proper wads, and the CH4D dies.   Yes, I know those are expensive, but when you consider I basically got the gun for free, it's not a bad trade off.

• Like 2

sounds like you have that well in hand , im not probably going to follow as much as i might like to , i thought the 16 was obsolete when i was a kid , but then what did i know back then ? i was just a kid with unfounded opinions - now im old with unfounded opinions