SASS Wire Forum

St. George Day

No photo description available.

14 Thou didst establish the sea by Thy might, Thou didst break the heads of the dragons in the water.
15 Thou didst crush the head of the dragon, Thou gavest him as food to the Ethiopian peoples.

I thought that the style of the icon looked Ethiopean/Eritrean.  
Святой Отец Георгий Моли Бога о нас.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My signature, on a couple of other boards.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with catsup - George of Lod, Year of Our Lord 297

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Put this one under:

Snip-it_1713963247512.jpg.0a023d655a82cf3d7e59ad682aee7e2d.jpg

Just in case someone is hankerin' some dragon food. :blush:

• Haha 3

That's a little disillusioning, you know? Seeing those sheep in the background implies that George was hunting dragon over bait.

Very unsportsmanlike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alpo said:

That's a little disillusioning, you know? Seeing those sheep in the background implies that George was hunting dragon over bait.

Very unsportsmanlike.

Hmmm.....I see it as St. George protecting the sheep (Christians) from the dragon (Diocletian and the Devil).  Of course, there are several interpretations of it.   That's just my take on it.  One of them is a village was being beset by a dragon which prevented the people from tending their flocks, and once a year they would sacrifice a virgin to the dragon.  St. George subdued the dragon, put a rope or chain on it, had a young woman lead it to the village where St. George killed it.  

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hmmm.....I see it as St. George protecting the sheep (Christians) from the dragon (Diocletian and the Devil).  Of course, there are several interpretations of it.   That's just my take on it.  One of them is a village was being beset by a dragon which prevented the people from tending their flocks, and once a year they would sacrifice a virgin to the dragon.  St. George subdued the dragon, put a rope or chain on it, had a young woman lead it to the village where St. George killed it.  

Would PETA have complained?

• Haha 4