SASS Wire Forum

Kulturgeschichte and Geistesgeschichte

I guess it beats honest work. 

Intellectual History

As a field of intellectual enquiry, the history of ideas emerged from the European disciplines of Kulturgeschichte (Cultural History) and Geistesgeschichte (Intellectual History) from which historians might develop a global intellectual history that shows the parallels and the interrelations in the history of critical thinking in every society.[2][3] Likewise, the history of reading, and the history of the book, about the material aspects of book production (design, manufacture, distribution) developed from the history of ideas.

The concerns of intellectual history are the intelligentsia and the critical study of the ideas expressed in the texts produced by intellectuals; therein the difference between intellectual history from other forms of cultural history that study visual and non-verbal forms of evidence. In the production of knowledge, the concept of the intellectual as a political citizen of public society dates from the 19th century, and identifies a man or a woman who is professionally engaged with critical thinking that is applicable to improving society. Nonetheless, anyone who explored his or her thoughts on paper can be the subject of an intellectual history. For instance, The Cheese and the Worms (1976), Carlo Ginzburg's study of the 16th-century Italian miller Menocchio (1532–1599) and his cosmology, falls within the genre of intellectual history (as well as cultural history, the history of mentalities, and microhistory).[4] The Journal of the History of Ideas is one of the flagship journals in intellectual history.

Those who can, do; and those who can't, teach....SB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i for one enjoyed the post , i do agree with all the responses that followed as they speak the truth , 

that said , the interesting aspects to me of intellectualism is that after careful reflection and study , as well as perfection of their communication some , not all , decide they know what is best for all , my example would be jim jones , or charlie manson of our era , as well as pol pot , im going out on a limb and thinking hitler and marx / lennon / stalin of the previous era ,  ill ignore the south americans for this discussion 

i realize that in your context you were referring more to those that would have been persecuted by these examples but ...we cant ignore those that succeeded and them eliminated their adversaries can we ?  then we need to discuss the social destruction their thinking resulted in all the while promising utopia for the masses , 

im not a great thinker in this world - i only see where so much has gone wrong by some that thought too far , im also not a fatalist , i believe there is good and it can prevail as long as those that dont think start to and those that do think,  dont overthink , if that makes any sense at all you get my thinking , 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 9:09 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

As a field of intellectual enquiry, ... the concept of the intellectual as a political citizen of public society dates from the 19th century...

A little research might push the century back a bit (see Federalist Papers) or a lot (see Socrates, Plato, ...).

• Like 1