SASS Wire Forum

need some 32 rimfire ammo

You may have better luck finding a centerfire firing pin and getting some .32 Long Colt ammo for it.  Marlin regularly shipped these with two firing pins, one for the rimfires and a centerfire pin for the .32 Short and Long Colt.  For whatever reason (probably because the rimfire ammo used to be cheaper) a lot of these are now found with only the rimfire firing pin.  There are reproduction centerfire pins out there though.  The .32 Short and Long Colt aren't exactly growing on trees either, but you do run into them occasionally and they are cheaper than the rimfires.  They're also reloadable if you're willing to deal with heeled bullets.

I heard once that sometimes .32 S&W has worked in a worn rifle with looser tolerances, but I've never tried it.  And the guy was trying to sell me a rifle, so who knows.  There are plenty of people, however, who have rechambered these rifles to S&W cartridges for ease of reloading (sometimes in combination with relining the barrel), but I'm not suggesting that for a family heirloom.

I have read that the rifles made before about 1906 sometimes won't feed .32 Short Colt anymore due to wear of certain parts; supposedly Marlin fixed this flaw in 1906 and the later rifles should be fine.

I hope some of that was helpful.  And if you are just looking to enjoy a few shots, finding a few .32 rimfires may be the cheapest and easiest way to go.

I hope y'all enjoy that rifle.  I still sometimes regret a particular Marlin 1892 that I passed up on about 2 years ago.

There is a guy on Gunbroker that makes brass that accepts the power loads used in power actuated tools. The brass is reusable. I used 32 caliber round balls but you can also use regular heeled bullets. You can buy kits that have everything in it at Dixie Gunworks. 

Hi Pat:
Looks like I have an old box of 32 Long Rimfire

PM on the way

--Dawg

32 box.jpg

32 box flap.jpg

32RF Ammo.jpg

• Like 2

Try Gun Parts they had Center Fire firing pins.

Sometimes S&W Long will chamber.

I have a Marlin 92. Nice little Rifle.

I shoot S&W longs in it.

If you can find them, Navy Arms had a run of 32 Rimfires a few years ago.

You can swap out firing pins in about 5 minutes.

No special tools needed.