SASS Wire Forum

How to make a .45-70 Mare's Leg!

Well, I believe I have found a way to actually create a Mare's Leg type gun in .45-70.

Start with one of these from Taylors...

1886 TC86 Takedown 16.5" .45-70

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1886-tc86-takedown-16-5-45-70-lc1-220100.html

Replace the tachtical sights with more traditional ones, get a second stock and cut the shoulder off pistol grip, being sure to stay over 26" inches overall, and presto!  I "Mare's Leg" in .45-70.  It would serve no practical purpose, but would be a heck of a lot of fun to own and shoot every once in a while. 

• Like 1

I shoot 405gr lead with 5744 and 4198 out of a 45-70 revolver (trapdoor loads). I can do it one handed but it’s a lot of work by the time round #4 comes around. 

• Thanks 1

As long as ya don't cut the barrel below 16, it might be fun to shoot, and honestly, most of the stuff I get now days is fun, I'm way past need,lol...

Oh and loose the top rail,lol...

6 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

As long as ya don't cut the barrel below 16, it might be fun to shoot, and honestly, most of the stuff I get now days is fun, I'm way past need,lol...

Oh and loose the top rail,lol...

It comes with a 16.5" barrel, and based on a 73 I have with a barrel of that length, cutting the shoulder part off the pistol grip should still be over 26" total. 

As far as "why" is concerned, just for the sheer unadulterated fun of it.  :)

• Like 1