SASS Wire Forum

Hey, Sgt. C.J. Sabre....

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Probably higher and lower :P

You sound like the weatherman now. :lol:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Gonna be in Tucson this weekend... how's the weather there?   :)

And gas prices??   :huh:

Hi Hardpan.

Temps are supposed to be lows in the upper 40s to highs in the mid 70s. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/tucson/85716/daily-weather-forecast/346936

Gas prices are up a little, but right now Sam's Club and Costco are just under $3.00. Most other places are around $3.25. 

https://www.tucsongasprices.com/index.aspx?area=Tucson - Central&area=Tucson - East&area=Tucson - NE&area=Tucson - North&area=Tucson - NW&area=Tucson - SE&area=Tucson - South&area=Tucson - SW&area=Tucson - West

Anything else I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.

8 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Hi Hardpan.

Temps are supposed to be lows in the upper 40s to highs in the mid 70s. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/tucson/85716/daily-weather-forecast/346936

Gas prices are up a little, but right now Sam's Club and Costco are just under $3.00. Most other places are around $3.25. 

https://www.tucsongasprices.com/index.aspx?area=Tucson - Central&area=Tucson - East&area=Tucson - NE&area=Tucson - North&area=Tucson - NW&area=Tucson - SE&area=Tucson - South&area=Tucson - SW&area=Tucson - West

Anything else I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.

Thankee, Sarge~!  

Criminies... just filled up last night at $4.40 at the local "cheap" independent station - probably higher today; that $4.40 represents an increase of fifty cents or more a gallon over ten days ago.  *Grump!*  :angry:

Headed out pre-dawn tomorrow from north of Fresno to visit youngest sister in Tucson, the air museum on Friday, and the Festival of Books at the university on Saturday.  Off to Yuma Sunday to visit an old college buddy (Bill "Whynuts" from my stories).  Then, So Cal to visit other family.  

Ol' Half-Breed Pete tells me that Tucson has a hardware store (Ace?) that sells "toys and ammunition."  If I can figure out where it is, I just might have to stop in.  Not that I'd smuggle anything back, mind you, but it'd be fun to look....  :rolleyes:

Dang... I'm tired just thinkin' about it!  :huh:

When you leave the Pima Air Museum, head East on Valencia. It curves a couple times, but it will come up to Houghton Rd. That's where the Ace Hardware is. 

For Breakfast or Lunch, there's a place called "Cappy's Breakfast Cafe" on Prince Rd. just East of I-10. It's not far from the University. He makes good pancakes and great Mexican food. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

So Hardpan, how was your visit?

Howdy, Sarge!

Well, made it home last night ~ and the trip was for the most part good.  Got to visit with family, spent Saturday at the Tucson Festival of Books, but the highlight (for me!) was the Air Museum.  I’ve been to some pretty good museums - Planes of Fame in Chino, and even the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  But in my not-so-humble opinion, Pima was better!  DANG but there’s a lot of aeroplanes there!  

My favorite display was the B-17 in the 390th Memorial exhibit.  Met up with a really knowledgeable and affable docent – the fella gave me an odd look when I asked if that particular airframe was Douglas built – “the rivets.  Douglas built ‘em under license from Boeing, and used LOTS more rivets.” 

That brought a smile.  “As a matter if fact, it was!”  And when I mentioned that Helen Brimstone’s mom had been Donald Douglas’ personal assistant during the war, he got downright excited, and pretty much ignored the rest of the visitors for the rest of our time there.

Did not make it to the ACE Hardware on Houghton - really wanted to, in the hope they might have had some Unique in stock. Ran out of time after the museum, but thought I might on Sunday on the way out.  But it didn’t happen.  After dinner Saturday evening, I came down with a mighty unpleasant bout of food poisoning.  Still working through it (or is it working through me? :wacko:).

Gas was only $3.30 in Tucson, and in Yuma where we topped off after visiting my ol’ frat bro Bill “Wynuts.”  Next gas in Upland (california) was exactly two bucks a gallon more.  Way to go, gav…!  :angry:

Stopped in Upland to visit a cousin and his family; he and his son sent me off with an RCBS Pro-Melt 2 and a pound of Unique!  Yippee~!  :lol:

One of the highlights at the museum was the Avenger - Dad was a turret gunner, flying off the old Ranger.

The old man at the museum in 2007 and me last weekend:

image.png.a390f6aafc1d724b3b2db4fa82a49514.png      image.png.8f193a579225af69e2c7ea67795d352e.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Glad to hear that you had a good time, for the most part. Just curious as to where you got the food poisoning. (Food truck at the book show?) 

I need to get back to the Air Museum. I don't think that I've been there in 15 years or better. 

If you get back this way and I can be of any further assistance, give a holler.

Don't know about down thataway, but I hear there is a lot of norovirus going around in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Had a bad case of it a couple years ago at Rochester, MN, while visiting the Mayo Clinic of all places. Probably left on a hamburger bun by a restaurant cook who didn't wash hands well enough. Really unpleasant for a couple of days! Wife and I are supposed to go back up there for our annual checkups in April. Hope that bug has cleared out by then. :(