SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 JM Cowboy .357 Mag Double Feeds

Skiddsteer1

Skid...

the pin that holds the Extractor is 'serrated' on one end.  Before trying to knock it out,

it would be a good idea to call me at 865 / 696-1996.

..........Widder

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 5:46 PM, Skiddsteer1 said:

Jackrabbit, got carrier. I am sending you a check for $30.00 this PM. Thanks Skid.

Ok but send the old carrier to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

OK, PM your address again. Thanks Skid.

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

OK. Please PM your address again. Thanks Skid.

On 3/4/2024 at 2:11 AM, Skiddsteer1 said:

The short answer is NO it is not fixed. It no longer double feeds however. I have buffed the sharp edges going into the chamber. Buffed out the cuts on the bottom inside of the floor plate and applied two (one each side of the hole where the small tongue of the carrier protrudes) one layer of aluminum tape. I double checked my crimping. At this point I am considering re-sizing the bullets to .357 and trying that (dummies). The first cartridge will not feed without marring the bullet first and then the case as the round is attempted to be chambered but will chamber on subsequent levering two or three times. COAL is 1.495 as was suggested.

I can scratch re-sizing to .357 with a firm crimp. It did not work. It does not appear that the extractor is too strong. I am about to try chambering a dummy with the EJECTOR out. Thanks.

15 hours ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

I can scratch re-sizing to .357 with a firm crimp. It did not work. It does not appear that the extractor is too strong. I am about to try chambering a dummy with the EJECTOR out. Thanks.

After all has been said AND DONE my be with your help, I have decided to order a chamber hone brush in 400 grit from Brush Research. Thanks Skid. PS it is probably good that I have two working 1873's in reserve. Thanks. Skid.

58 minutes ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

After all has been said AND DONE my be with your help, I have decided to order a chamber hone brush in 400 grit from Brush Research. Thanks Skid. PS it is probably good that I have two working 1873's in reserve. Thanks. Skid.

Will an empty resized case drop into the chamber with the muzzle down?

Will that case then slide out when the muzzle is pointed up?

Is yes, you don't need/want that bore hone.

Do you use a brass brush as part of your bore cleaning routine? 

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Will an empty resized case drop into the chamber with the muzzle down?

Will that case then slide out when the muzzle is pointed up?

Is yes, you don't need/want that bore hone.

Do you use a brass brush as part of your bore cleaning routine? 

Yes an empty resized case will drop in and out un-assisted. No I use a copper brush when cleaning. The bullet is a 125grn truncated. Cartridge COAL is 1.495. The round will only chamber upon a second levering.

10 hours ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

Yes an empty resized case will drop in and out un-assisted. No I use a copper brush when cleaning. The bullet is a 125grn truncated. Cartridge COAL is 1.495. The round will only chamber upon a second levering.

Then don't waste money on that hone.

Like I asked before, can you post pictures or a video showing these feed issues? 

Pictures of your cartridge would be good too.......

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

Like I asked before, can you post pictures or a video showing these feed issues? 

IMG_0330 - Copy.HEIC IMG_0330 - Copy.HEIC IMG_0330.HEIC

3 hours ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

The carrier is rising to high.

Have you tried it without the extractor in place?

The second 2 pictures I can't see. 

On 3/9/2024 at 8:15 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The carrier is rising to high.

Have you tried it without the extractor in place?

The second 2 pictures I can't see. 

No, the extractor pin in the bolt won't budge. It is serrated  of course so I am not going to force it. The last two pictures are inconsequential, but they show a cartridge identical to Longhunters earlier pic of his cartridge. (COAL 1.495, truncated cone bullet). Thanks.

1 hour ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

No, the extractor pin in the bolt won't budge. It is serrated  of course so I am not going to force it. The last two pictures are inconsequential, but they show a cartridge identical to Longhunters earlier pic of his cartridge. (COAL 1.495, truncated cone bullet). Thanks.

Never had one that I could not remove. :huh: 

Make sure the punch shaft diameter is under 1/16" diameter. 

Have you tried from both the top and bottom of the bolt? 

Will this rifle feed factory ammo?

Typically that pin comes out from the bottom toward the top.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Never had one that I could not remove. :huh: 

Make sure the punch shaft diameter is under 1/16" diameter. 

Have you tried from both the top and bottom of the bolt? 

Will this rifle feed factory ammo?

It did not feed factory ammo. That is moot now as I got the extractor out and it feeds fine with it out.

4 minutes ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

It did not feed factory ammo. That is moot now as I got the extractor out and it feeds fine with it out.

PS there was a lot of gunk under the small tongue of the extractor. I will clean this and the slot in the bolt where the extractor came from.

12 minutes ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

PS there was a lot of gunk under the small tongue of the extractor. I will clean this and the slot in the bolt where the extractor came from.

That "slot" is a round hole. Gunk will build up in there, especially in a 45colt and worse if you shoot BP! Flush it good when you clean the rifle.

23 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That "slot" is a round hole. Gunk will build up in there, especially in a 45colt and worse if you shoot BP! Flush it good when you clean the rifle.

I did just that with CLP Extreme Duty Cleaner. Put the extractor back in the bolt, assembled the rifle and cycled my dummy and the factory ammo one at a time.

Almost amazingly it did chamber the first time I tried a previously un-marred dummy. After that I find that I cannot chamber a round until the rifle is levered a second time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

Wrap a section of 400 grit  wet or dry sandpaper, around a popsicle stick and lightly radius all the bottom edges of the claw/hook area on the extractor.

Polish the bolt face.

Clean out all crud in the extractor hole in the bolt.

Good luck.....

Too bad ya can't get the RPP extractors any more. They work really well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

I could not get it to work on my remlin.  Had to go back to the stock extractor.  

I have one in both of our JM Marlins and they seem to work great. However, ejection is forward. I still haven't had a chance to try a new ejector as suggested by Lumpy to correct that issue. I did wear one out however in my rifle!!

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I have one in both of our JM Marlins and they seem to work great. However, ejection is forward. I still haven't had a chance to try a new ejector as suggested by Lumpy to correct that issue. I did wear one out however in my rifle!!

Use a longer coil spring.

At least 3-4coils longer.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Use a longer coil spring.

At least 3-4coils longer.

3-4 coils longer than the RPP long spring?

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Maybe 2 coils longer. Gonna be a 'tite' fit.

Get'n all back together, will renew you vocabulary some. :lol:

I think RPP has springs.

I've got the long spring from RPP in there from when you suggested it years ago while trialing the part. Do they now have an even longer one. I've actually gotten pretty good at putting that spring in! Although a couple more coils could change that quickly!

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've got the long spring from RPP in there from when you suggested it years ago while trialing the part. Do they now have an even longer one. I've actually gotten pretty good at putting that spring in! Although a couple more coils could change that quickly!

They bought bulk springs from Wolff Gunsprings and cut them down.

Call Wolff, they know the PN, and have them in stock. Price is very reasonable. 

They went to the longer springs because they gave 2-3 o'clock ejection as opposed to 1 o'clock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little RPP history (to the best of my memory)

When RPP created their Extractor, they ask both me and Lumpy to test their Extractor and give them our opinions.

Unknown to each of us at the time, BOTH of us came to the same conclusion about the spring situation and RPP was

delighted to accommodate with the better (stronger) spring setup.

IF AFTER THAT, RPP could have made another change to their spring by making it a tad longer OR a tad stronger without

our knowledge.  They could have done this based on their own testing and/or other comments from owners.

Springs will weaken, especially small springs.   And manufacturers can also temper springs that make em softer or stronger.

I welcome Lumpy's comment on this to make sure I remember the beginning history of the RPP Extractor.

Although I was not part of its design, RPP contacted me early on about its creation due to my comments about the factory

Marlin EXTRACTOR in the 1894 that I posted on the 'Marlin Owners' forum.  The owners of RPP read my comments and

suggestion and created that Extractor.   I was glad to see it, help test it, and happy it helped a lot of 1894 owners.

On a side note:  I found it VERY GOOD in unmodified Marlin 1894's, but when I tried to use it in a Widdermatic, I also had to

modify the front portion of the Extractor.

Ain't history interesting?

..........Widder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

On a side note:  I found it VERY GOOD in unmodified Marlin 1894's, but when I tried to use it in a Widdermatic, I also had to

modify the front portion of the Extractor.

Ain't history interesting?

..........Widder

Any pictures of your mod?   I had two of them and no luck.  I do like the design and think it should be an improvement, but my gun didn’t like them. Would jam regularly just like the OP.  

8 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Any pictures of your mod?   I had two of them and no luck.  I do like the design and think it should be an improvement, but my gun didn’t like them. Would jam regularly just like the OP.  

Sorri, I don't have any RPP extractors.   My mod was at the 'hook' area.   I slightly beveled it inward on the bottom portion

to help in the 'Angle/Slant' feeding of the modified carrier (Widdermatic).

But to keep this in perspective, I only saw a FEW Marlins that were using the RPP Extractor and even fewer owners that

requested me to put one in their rifles.   Basically, a slightly smoothed up factory extractor worked better in Widdermatics

than the RPP extractor.   I quit working on Marlins nearly 4 years ago and I probably hadn't seen any RPP Extractors in

6-7 years.

..........Widder

On 2/18/2024 at 5:27 AM, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Got some modified carriers if you need one.

Joe, I got your letter. Carrier is forthcoming. Thanks Skid.