SASS Wire Forum

Starline Cowboy 45 Special

Lead Monger

I was able to get 500 and found they shoot Titegroup and 230 and 200 grain bullets just fine.

I'm hoarding keeping what's left of my TB for loading .45 Colt use in my rifle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skullbone Willie said:

What your Die set up for loading these ? I have a Dillon 750 and looking to set up a die set for 45 Cowboy Special. 

I use a dillon 45ACP conversion kit for the powder drop and flaring. I use a 45 colt sizing die on station 1. 45 colt or 45 ACP seating die (either will work). Then a Redding 45 auto rim profile crimp die on the final station. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 Colt sizer, and a 45ACP Roll Crimp seater/crimp die on my 550C.

• Like 2

PLUS ONE for Leroy Luck.

I have always preferred separate seating and crimping dies.  Just more consistent results.  The Redding 45 Auto Rim Profile Crimp die is just superb. 

• Like 3

Almost forgot.  What ever you do > > > > DO NOT use 45 ACP resizing dies.  .45 ACP resizing dies impart a slight taper to the cases which generates excessive Blow-By.  Resize with a standard 45 Colt resize die.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Almost forgot.  What ever you do > > > > DO NOT use 45 ACP resizing dies.  .45 ACP resizing dies impart a slight taper to the cases which generates excessive Blow-By.  Resize with a standard 45 Colt resize die.

I’ve not noticed any excessive blow by. I use a Redding 45ACP file trim die with my cracked 45 Colt cases to further extend brass life and in turn get more 45CS brass. I can get them within .001” of starline spec. 

But they do get run through a 45 colt sizer on the dillon when it comes time to reload them. So that may make the difference. 

Edited by Leroy Luck
  • Like 1