SASS Wire Forum

Introducing the new Ford Mustang for 1965

In 1965 I bought my first new car, the Ford Mustang. I remember dad going with me and placing an order for one. Seat Belts were optional, as well as were rear back up lights back then. I remember ordering it in Wimbledon White, Red interior, console, radio, safety belts, rear back up lights, and a few other options back then.  Traded in a 1958 Ford which got me 500.00 and down payment which I forgot. Payments were 36.50 a month for 2 years and insurance was 56.00 a year with State Farm. I was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks for my vehicle to arrive. Mustang was a popular seller, no dealer mark ups. There were no added fees as one sees now. Just license and Taxes.

Today there are almost 1/2 dozen if not more added Dealer Mark ups on cars and trucks., and added markups if its a top seller hard to get. Friend that shoots paid 4000.00 above sticker just to have a new Ford Ranger.

I miss the good days of buying a car with no hassle and honest deals and dealerships.

Edited by Marshal Dan Troop 70448
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

First cousin a couple months older than me dropped out of high school and worked at a gas station.  Bought a new Mustang couple 6 cylinder 3 speed manual.  Had 4 hole wheels as I remember.  I think it was about $1,800.00.

Those first few years of Mustang were prettied up Falcon/Comet chassis.  

The precursor to the “Pony Car” revolution was the Studebaker Avanti!!

The Baracuda, Camaro, Cougar, Challenger, Firebird, Javelin/AMX all followed the long hood, short deck lid, two door, tiny back seat format established by the Avanti!

There were high priced European sports cars that preceded all of these, but the styling has endured, for the most part, due to the American “Pony Car”!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Those first few years of Mustang were prettied up Falcon/Comet chassis.  

The precursor to the “Pony Car” revolution was the Studebaker Avanti!!

The Baracuda, Camaro, Cougar, Challenger, Firebird, Javelin/AMX all followed the long hood, short deck lid, two door, tiny back seat format established by the Avanti!

There were high priced European sports cars that preceded all of these, but the styling has endured, for the most part, due to the American “Pony Car”!

Yeah...but no girl ever said "That's a cool Studebaker?":rolleyes:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yeah...but no girl ever said "That's a cool Studebaker?":rolleyes:

Actually, YES!  Yes they did!

IMG_0161.thumb.jpeg.4ea83e4d47100beda6df202b78d25de0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Maybe they never said it to me because I didn't have a 

14 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Actually, YES!  Yes they did!

IMG_0161.thumb.jpeg.4ea83e4d47100beda6df202b78d25de0.jpeg

Kind of funny, but I always thought those were ugly...never drove one though.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

You sure about that?image.thumb.png.67cb949c180bb469e3a5cea7cd672967.png

I had just finished my first V8 Vega and was kickin’ ass  ‘n’ takin’ cash on the streets around where I lived.

A ‘Baker just like that one, (‘ceptin’ it was dark blue) pulled up a a light one afternoon and the guy reved it and pointed down the street.  I nodded, and when the light changed, he proceeded to blow my little wagon off the road!

When we pulled into a parking lot, he was willing to show me what was under the hood.  It was a Studebaker 327 with a Paxton supercharger and fuel injection!!  It was muchly modified and absolutely beautiful!!

Some o’ them old Studebakers were some of the baddest rides ever rolled off an assembly line!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Maybe they never said it to me because I didn't have a 

Kind of funny, but I always thought those were ugly...never drove one though.

That was one of the first American made vehicles to make use of real aerodynamics.  The Avanti actually made specific use of downforce in its design. They actually produced almost twice their static weight at higher speeds.  The cars were visibly closer to the ground the faster they were driven.