SASS Wire Forum

In Garage Practice Prop...

Lucky Digger

I am a new shooter, so still getting familiar with my guns...  I have created a bunch of targets from cardboard, painted them and placed screws all over my garage door to simulate different stage placements while dry firing... Question:  Have any of you built a portable wall to simulate a window or two and a doorway to practice moving more realistically?  If so, could you please post a picture or two?  I plan to create something with hinged supports that will fold and store against the wall... Thank you!

Lucky

I don't have anything like what your asking about,  BUT   How about hanging a cardboard window from your ceiling on hooks.         GW

PVC frames, without glue, are easy to assemble and knock down as don't much room

I know you know this but my EMT training is kicking in:

Please, please, please, double and triple check your guns are not loaded when doing this

people get in a hurry, or get complacent and bad things happen

5 hours ago, Lucky Digger said:

I am a new shooter, so still getting familiar with my guns...  I have created a bunch of targets from cardboard, painted them and placed screws all over my garage door to simulate different stage placements while dry firing... Question:  Have any of you built a portable wall to simulate a window or two and a doorway to practice moving more realistically?  If so, could you please post a picture or two?  I plan to create something with hinged supports that will fold and store against the wall... Thank you!

Lucky

Why not just go to the range

You'll want to practice properly. If you crawl into windows, always shoot left target first instead of first target you see, or dancing around rather than planting your feet, the list goes on. You'll only get better at bad habits. Although running your guns is important, it's only a piece of the puzzle. Find a good shooter to critique you and tutor your practice.

As has been mentioned.... watch out for getting into bad habits.

As a new shooter, a lot of dry fire practice can induce some bad habits and hard to overcome.   And as mentioned above,

get a good shooter to help ya out, critique you, etc...

I also have a 'dry fire practice room' in my basement, BUT...... I only set it up after a few years of actual shooting to help me 

overcome my shortfalls.   I learned about those shortfalls in actual match situations.

Good luck.

P.S. - if you use a 97, I'll post some practice videos for you to check out that might help with the 97 functions.

There are also some good SxS and 87 practice techniques on YouTube that are helpful.

..........Widder

Lots of good advice up above.  Best thing that happened to me was that one of the best shooters that I shoot with started helping me and giving me advice.  Improved my technique, confidence and my scores very quickly.  Had to overcome a lot of bad habits and change how I did some things, but it paid off.  I have a long way to go and am still working on consistently avoiding the bad habits I started, but now have a clear path forward.  I hope he keeps feeling sorry for me and keeps helping.  I thank him pretty much every time I see him for all he's done for me.  From what I've seen with the cowboy shooting crowd, everyone will help you improve if you ask for advice and at least try to do what they tell you.

Archived