SASS Wire Forum

Montado Style vs. Super Blackhawk Hammers, is there a difference?

So the other day I stopped in a local GS and came upon a set of SASS  Vaqueros, previously owned, but unfired in the red Ruger box for what I believe is a good price.   I currently have a set of NM Vaqueros with Super Blackhawk hammers installed.  I shoot duelist and like the SBH hammers.  I've read that the SASS Vaqueros have "Montado style" hammers.  Are they different from SBH hammers?  If so in what way?  Thanks in advance!

Buckeye Pete

They are the same casting.  The difference in the finished product being the SBH has serrations (left) and the Montado checkering (right).DSC_0012.thumb.jpeg.788b5c08712f0086f21a3307ca2207c1.jpeg

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the Bisley hammer over the SBH hammer.  If you're going to Los Vaquero's this month, let me know and I'll bring an example of all three.

42 minutes ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

I prefer the Bisley hammer over the SBH hammer.  If you're going to Los Vaquero's this month, let me know and I'll bring an example of all three.

Thanks Johnny!  I'll be at LV this Saturday.  I have the SBH on my current Vaqueros.  I'm looking at a set of SASS Vaqueros and noticed the spec sheet mentioned "Montado Style" hammers.   I was just wondering what the difference is.  Thanks to Larsen, I now know.

Pete

Montados were initially developed for mounted shooting.  They carried features that made them illegal for cowboy action, but enhanced their one-handed handling.  Ruger then produced them without those features, and viola, legal for cowboy action.  

The illegal "feature".  Grooves in the gripframe.  Declared an illegal grip enhancement.  Ruger removed the grooves shortly after the SASS TG vote many years ago.

DSC_0004(2).thumb.jpeg.7760efe6ec3818dc7f0aca772aeb1fb1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2