SASS Wire Forum

Ruger new vaquero transfer bar issues

Coot

Edit: fixed! After tinkering with the hammer plunger I found i didn't have the notch on the plunger where is was supposed to be aligned with the cross pin. Hours of frustration for a tiny cross pin lol. Ah well part of the learning process. Thank for all your suggestions and help fellas! On to the next lesson lol.

I installed a new hammer on my ruger and all parts went back in fine. Only issue is now randomly the transfer bar won't go up and I can't cock the hammer. Its not hanging on the firing pin, I looked. The base pin is also seated well. Any ideas whats happening?

Edit: ok narrowed it down to the hammer plunger and spring. Which explains why i can cock and decock fine with no cylinder. The cylinder latch goes down when i open the loading gate btw just not otherwise. The hammer plunger is not moving freely in the hammer and works sometimes and stick other times. I swapped parts back into the factory hammer and its doing it in that hammer as well now. How should that plunger and spring be installed? Push the plunger until it stops, there's a notch, does that have to go a certain way? There's 0 youtube videos I've found on this particular issue. Thanks fellas.

17042562321111733073332461122331.jpg

Edited by Coot

When you put the grip back on the little spring with the plunger on it that sits just behind the single screw infront of the trigger guard has to be positioned where it pushes on the cylinder latch. If its too far left it sits on the gate spring. I dont know if that's the problem but EVERYTIME I take mine apart I have to reassemble it at least twice. You can do it though. Find a good video and don't give up. You may need to walk away for and hour or two though...

While you have the grip frame off check the other spring plunger too. To the left of the hammer on the back. There are some really good smiths on here that I am sure will chime in to help you tomorrow. They must be in bed now. They r so much better than me.

Make sure the little pin on the end of the cylinder base pin is moving freely. It may be stuck in and therefore not pushing back in the transfer bar.

Yeah you guys were right. For some reason the hammer plunger has bound up and its not moving freely so its not moving the cylinder latch. 

27 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Does the plunger move freely within the hammer? 

Might have to chamfer the top back edge of the cylinder stop.

It does sometimes and other times it sticks. Could you explain your last sentence? 

I also noticed a notch on the hammer plunger. Does that have to go a certain way back inside?

There are some excellent assembly/disassembly videos on youtube posted by Ruger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Coot said:

It does sometimes and other times it sticks. Could you explain your last sentence? 

I also noticed a notch on the hammer plunger. Does that have to go a certain way back inside?

The notched side indexes into the hammer.

PLZ, research some videos ;)

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The notched side indexes into the hammer.

PLZ, research some videos ;)

I've watched probably a hundred by now lol. I ordered a shop manual on rugers so gonna study that as well.

3 hours ago, Coot said:

I've watched probably a hundred by now lol. I ordered a shop manual on rugers so gonna study that as well.

Take it to a g'smith and watch him do the reassembly. 

Take pictures and notes.....

On 1/4/2024 at 1:08 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Take it to a g'smith and watch him do the reassembly. 

Take pictures and notes.....

I'm stubborn so I just went through it myself. I'd say I'm pretty comfortable with it now after having disassembled and reassembled 10 times lol. I went into it looking at how things fit, I got better once I learned what each piece did and why it fit there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coot said:

I'm stubborn so I just went through it myself. I'd say I'm pretty comfortable with it now after having disassembled and reassembled 10 times lol. I went into it looking at how things fit, I got better once I learned what each piece did and why it fit there.

But, does it now, run 'rite'? :blink:

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

But, does it now, run 'rite'? :blink:

Checked and double checked. Everything runs fine. The only part that held me up the whole time was the hammer plunger. I didn't have the notch aligned correctly. 

• Thanks 3