SASS Wire Forum

RV water heater replacement

:FlagAm: It is time to replace the 1998 vintage water heater in our Holiday Rambler.  It is a ten gallon LP/electric unit.  No direct replacement is available, Dometic/Atwood, so a similar unit will require new controls and some replumb work.

So I am interested in feedback from those that have an instant on LP unit.  The concept has merit, less LP used and less weight due to no tank storage, however I am concerned about the ten to fifteen second lag time to fire up due to water waste.  We still do a fair amount of dry camping and every ounce of water is precious.  These units are billed as providing an endless amount of hot water thereby giving a home like shower.  Dry camping does not allow for leaving the faucet on.  Also, every time the faucet is turned off and then on, there is that fire up lag time which would give a person a less than warm water jolt.

Anyone here that has real world experience with an instant on unit please give me some feedback, pros and cons.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Chas B 

They use too much gas and WAY too much water. The new RV hot water heaters are very well insulated and pretty efficient. 

The hot water heater in my 2019 RV can be turned on or off remotely inside the RV. With just a little planning, I have enough hot water within 20 minutes of flipping the switch to take a shower. 

I'm replacing this RV with an older toy hauler and am seriously considering replacing the existing hot water heater with one that is remotely controllable.

If you're hooked up to water and sewer you have electric also. Instant lp water heater has no benefit and uses gas.  So maybe a break even on convenience with added expense for fuel. Lp/electric tank wins

If you are dry camping put a kettle on for hot water and add cold in the tub to temp or cat bath. No need for hot water heater.  So no Benny there. Electric wins again.

For water use put a catch basin under the spigot and repurpose that water for dishes or toilet.

35 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Possible solution to the water issue.

https://showermiser.com/rv/

One issue I heard of with these but have no experience is that if hooked to "city" water, that recycle so to speak is going into your fresh water tank. So don't forget to drain it!!

My 2020 Cherokee camper has the standard water heater with the switch in the kitchen. It seems to be pretty darn economical on gas. It is under the bed so you can hear it if it comes on. Even on nights in the 30s, I've only heard once or twice overnight and it's only on for a short while. One 20# tank lasts me all summer with minimal stove use, usually only for breakfast. My old camper the water heater came on a lot overnight. Just my experience.

I put a 6 gallon RV water heater in my shower house up north. Takes 15-20 minutes to fully heat up. Three people showering with a five minute recharge between us. I could have gone bigger, but this was a successful experiment.

Archived