SASS Wire Forum

Julian

Subdeacon Joe

Back when I had my communications site over in the Laguna mountains I’d drive through Julian to get there. Usually had breakfast in Julian and then lunch or dinner depending on how long I was at the site. Always brought home one of their Dutch apple pies or a very berry pie to change things up. My wife didn’t feel like baking pies, usually 10-12 pies, one year for Thanksgiving so I volunteered to make the journey up to Julian and came back with a bunch of pies. There is or was a real good BBQ joint just north of the junction when you come into town from the west and Romanos Italian restaurant is real good too.

Off to the left on this but my bro-in-law's grandfather was Guliano, he came from Italy in the early 1900's. He changed his name to Julian to sound less Italian. I wonder if that place's owners were Italian?

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Off to the left on this but my bro-in-law's grandfather was Guliano, he came from Italy in the early 1900's. He changed his name to Julian to sound less Italian. I wonder if that place's owners were Italian?

From Wikipedia:

19th century: Initial European settlement and the gold rush

Edit

The first European settlers to arrive in this area were "Cockney Bill" Williams from England and John Wesley Horrell, who both arrived in the area in 1850 or 1851.[6] The town itself was first settled by Drury, Frank, and J.O. Bailey, all brothers; and their cousins, Mike and Webb Julian. They were passing through the region from San Bernardino en route to Arizona in 1869, in the wake of the American Civil War. Taken by the beauty of the Julian area, Drury Bailey interrupted the group’s travel plans and chose instead to settle here; he chose to name the settlement “Julian” after Mike Julian because “Mike was better looking” than any other member of the Bailey family.[7] Julian was also a former Confederate soldier[8] who was later elected San Diego County Assessor.[9] Shortly afterwards gold was discovered in the Julian region. A tent city initially formed in the boomtown, followed by more permanent structures as it became apparent that gold mining in Julian would persist for some time. Victorian-style structures were constructed in the latest stage of Julian’s early settlement, including the Hoskins House.[7]

After the American Civil War, in 1869, A.E. "Fred" Coleman, a former slave, crossed over what is now known as Coleman Creek just west of Julian. Seeing a glint of gold in the stream bed, he climbed down from his horse to investigate. Having had previous experience in the gold fields, he retrieved his frying pan and began panning the sands of the creek. Soon thereafter, Coleman established the Coleman Mining District and was its recorder and also began the mining camp called Emily City, later renamed Coleman City. Learning of the find, others rushed to the district and tried to trace the gold to its source. On February 22, 1870, the first "lode", or hard rock, mining claim was filed in the Julian area. Since February 22 was President George Washington's birthday, the mine was named the Washington mine.

Archived