SASS Wire Forum

Growing up without AC

Rye Miles #13621

46 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Batting 100. 100 degrees with 109 heat index.  41% humidity.  Not exactly a dry heat. 

We hit 90 but 75% humidity, it’s ugly so glad I got AC!

17 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

We had swamp cooler when I was real young. I still remember it. I think it broke down that's when we got a window unit to replace it. The attic fan was awesome open doors windows turn it on fresh air flowed throughout house.

The attic fan was our solution as a kid. And a pool. As long as it cools off at night. Remember always closing up everything in the morning and pulling the shades to keep it cool as long as possible . Also spent more time in the basement in the summer. 

I’ve never had central air conditioning. 
Been living in middle Arizona for 27 years and only have evaporative cooling. Gets a bit miserable  in July and August. 

When I was a small boy, Dad was finishing his Medical training.  We were living in the top floor "railroad flat" apartment under a flat tar roof.  It was over one of Granddad's businesses, so the rent was good.  With windows only at each end, there were small fans, but when it was hot, it was HOT.  If it was bad enough, Mom would take me to the movies.  In those days, they were both air conditioned and cheap.  Pretty much every movie was family rated, but some did give me nightmares. worth it to be cool.  

Archived