SASS Wire Forum

Launching From the Hangar Deck

Interesting. I had not heard of this. 

Did you notice the flak in the air when they were showing planes being launched from the hanger? I don’t think that was a test or proof of concept. 

6 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Looked like it could be debris (oil?) on the lens.

Kinda doubt it as splots on a camera lens aren’t that well defined. Also look closely, and you’ll see a round explode just before the edit. There are two camera angles of the same takeoff - from the left and right of the fuselage with both showing the same eruption. 

Sadly I knew this fairly useless bit of information.  I would have preferred to use that space to remember where I put my keys.

It probably wasn't used very often, given the takeoff problems mentioned in the video as well as likely limitations on the takeoff weight of the aircraft.

In another useless bit of information, at one point the HMS Furious had two flight decks.  The expected top flight deck where planes too off and landed and second flight deck at the main deck/hanger level where planes could take off.  At some point, either before WWII or early in the war, the second flight deck was removed and space used for anti-aircraft guns and a small conning tower to steer the ship.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Furious_(47)

Archived