SASS Wire Forum

ANOTHER DENIAL OF CIVIL RIGHTS

Blackwater 53393

I don’t watch NBA basketball.  I think it’s as far from the game of basketball as it could possibly be.

I’m back in a cast on my foot, so I’m sitting around a lot and today I am watching sports on TV for lack of something better to do.

All day, I’ve seen the reports on the crawl at the bottom of the screen about a pro player receiving a 25 game suspension for being seen in videos with a gun in his possession.  He hasn’t violated any laws nor has he threatened anyone or done anything suggesting that he might.

However!! The NBA powers that be have decided to suspend him AND require that he seek counseling or attend remedial therapy or some such nonsense for his actions!!

I feel that these professional sports organizations are, whether it’s intentional or not, vilifying gun owners and gun ownership.  

I wish that every gun rights organization would step up and at least make public statements condemning this treatment of players and personnel!!

Just a musing from a very bored gun owner and former athlete!

I don't pay much attention to sports so hadn't been aware of this. How is it even legal to punish someone just for exercising their constitutional right?:angry:

Don't watch professional basketball, for a multitude of reasons.

Professional sports have a "code of conduct" that allows the commissioner to be judge, jury, and executioner with little to no ability to fight back. You can appeal back to the Commissioner which just made the judgement. The "privilege" of playing for a professional sports franchise (monopoly) of a few rich owners that carefully select who they will let into their little club. I still don't see how they could force Donald Sterling to sell the LA Clippers to Balmer because their was a recording of him saying something stupid in the privacy of his own home.

I have a lot of problems with commissioners making judgements when it should be left to the judicial system. This case is no different, but it is a bit more complicated than the comments above.

There were videos of him flashing it inside of a bar where it is illegal to possess (again law enforcement issue?), he had been warned by the commissioner's office and continued to do it, and from what I heard this is just a small drop in the problems that this player has. He sounds like another Aaron Hernandez and will likely end up in jail before too long.

I know about the bar thing. If it was in Tennessee you may carry concealed in places that serve alcohol if, A: you have the proper permit, B: you don’t drink while carrying, and C: the establishment doesn’t have and display the proper signage prohibiting carry.  I have no information about the circumstances surrounding meeting these criteria, but he was never charged, wherever the incident occurred.

I certainly agree that these pro sports commissioners have way too much power and latitude in making decisions, especially where civil liberties are concerned. I also agree that many of these pro players think that they are entitled to a free pass on their misbehavior.

Still, they do deserve the same rights and legal protections that we who pay their way have.  Certainly no more. Definitely no less!!

Yeah! He’s acting like a fool!! But he didn’t do anything illegal!  Looks like he is in a vehicle of some sort.

Not stellar behavior by any means and not how the firearms community would wish to be represented, but not a particularly threatening exposition.  

The players’ association has said that the “punishment” is extreme, excessive, and may violate the players’ agreement.

I really don’t have any more to say. I was bored and got fed up with the repeated, over exaggerated and obviously anti gun owner comments from the sports media and media in general.

16 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah! He’s acting like a fool!! But he didn’t do anything illegal!  Looks like he is in a vehicle of some sort.

Not stellar behavior by any means and not how the firearms community would wish to be represented, but not a particularly threatening exposition.  

The players’ association has said that the “punishment” is extreme, excessive, and may violate the players’ agreement.

I really don’t have any more to say. I was bored and got fed up with the repeated, over exaggerated and obviously anti gun owner comments from the sports media and media in general.

You said lots to agree with.

If there had been no firearm, the rest of the behavior likely would still result in discipline as it reflects poorly on the NBA (not a professional public image). I do not have any direct knowledge of how much the firearm contributed to the NBA action, the media certainly led with it.

3 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Not to hard to understand, He signed a CONTRACT and violated the  Code  of conduct clause.

That’s something that should not be allowed. To make someone, basically, forfeit a constitutionally protected right in order to get to earn a living is just plain wrong!!

Contractual agreements preventing the revelation of company secrets and such are one thing, but there should also be limits.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

That’s something that should not be allowed. To make someone, basically, forfeit a constitutionally protected right in order to get to earn a living is just plain wrong!!

Contractual agreements preventing the revelation of company secrets and such are one thing, but there should also be limits.

I do not think he was forced to sign a contract. He could have walked away . 

Best Wishes

Archived