SASS Wire Forum

New Lee progressive, anyone tried one

Buckshot Bob

So this just happened. I was reloading new starline 38spl brass. I've never used case lube on straight walled cases but after this I will be in the hopes of not going through this mess again.

20230421_194419.thumb.jpg.30b6a5aa90048270e8038241cba12b99.jpg

The carrier separated from the ram. Not a difficult fix but definitely not something I'd expect to do with less than 1000 rounds on a press. 

20230421_195457.thumb.jpg.21dc96a21ab57a8a815384d838eded4d.jpg

Loosen the hex head and apply locktite to the textured portion of the ram, put the carrier back on and crank the hex bolt back down spreading the ram for a tight ffit.if it happens again I will cross drill through the carrier and ram and install a roll pin to hold them together. 

The concept is great but I'm starting to lose faith in lee progressive presses. The last one I had that was problem free was the pro1000. That was back in the early 2000s.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

So this just happened. I was reloading new starline 38spl brass. I've never used case lube on straight walled cases but after this I will be in the hopes of not going through this mess again.

20230421_194419.thumb.jpg.30b6a5aa90048270e8038241cba12b99.jpg

The carrier separated from the ram. Not a difficult fix but definitely not something I'd expect to do with less than 1000 rounds on a press. 

20230421_195457.thumb.jpg.21dc96a21ab57a8a815384d838eded4d.jpg

Loosen the hex head and apply locktite to the textured portion of the ram, put the carrier back on and crank the hex bolt back down spreading the ram for a tight ffit.if it happens again I will cross drill through the carrier and ram and install a roll pin to hold them together. 

The concept is great but I'm starting to lose faith in lee progressive presses. The last one I had that was problem free was the pro1000. That was back in the early 2000s.  

You might want to contact Lee, send them a couple pictures and see what they have to say. Maybe they will do something for you. I’m assuming you were using a carbide sizing die. I’ve looked at most of the stuff on the high road and I belong to the six pack pro Fb group and your the first incident of this I’ve seen 

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

You might want to contact Lee, send them a couple pictures and see what they have to say. Maybe they will do something for you. I’m assuming you were using a carbide sizing die. I’ve looked at most of the stuff on the high road and I belong to the six pack pro Fb group and your the first incident of this I’ve seen 

Yeah planned on calling them tomorrow or Monday if they're not in. I tried to comment on your post in the fb group but forgot I'm on a ban :lol:

4 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Yeah planned on calling them tomorrow or Monday if they're not in. I tried to comment on your post in the fb group but forgot I'm on a ban :lol:

We’ll see what the collective has to say 

20230422_153504.thumb.jpg.9b5d5b9de595c131869d6c40e9d131aa.jpg

So a little more of an update now that I've had a chance to sit down and load some quantity on it. The above mentioned malfunction was about 10 rounds into the 500 38spl rds I just finished. Now that I have the jam nut tightened down to 14 ft lbs it hasn't pulled free again. I have an email out to Lee to find out what the torque spec is for it and I'll adjust it to that once they answer. 

Until now I hadn't tried to load anything at a regular pace. The biggest issue I ran into was with the primer tray. The new style triangle style tray hasn't ever been great. The press runs smooth so it doesn't bounce around enough to let small primers flow through properly. That causes an interruption in loading having to shake the tray. 

20230422_123135.thumb.jpg.5a5c3fd3c8328c537f431529006a8230.jpg

I have one of the old ones laying around so I switched to it and most of those issues disappeared. However once the tray is empty the weight of small primers wasn't enough for them to push into the primer pickup arm.

20230422_153647.thumb.jpg.55d5b3e2be2678c633965030cc0fe606.jpg

This is the large primer pickup. The small is still installed and it was easier to get a pic of this one. I took a file to the small pickup and made the opening more like this instead of the 'C' shape it was and now the primers flow all the way to about the last 3 or 4. 

I still haven't loaded any quantities of large primer stuff but I haven't remotely seen any of these primer issues with large primers.

In case anyone was wondering the 44 caliber bullet feeder works great for 44-40. It was great timing for it to hit the market and be available at titan reloading. I broke my 3d printed one while cleaning my homemade bullet lube out of it. This one showed up earlier this week and I put it on today and ran a quick 50 rounds through it. Works very well. For the $60 shipped if I need more in the future I think it's worth the little extra over the 3d printed ones. 

20230428_203940.jpg

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

In case anyone was wondering the 44 caliber bullet feeder works great for 44-40. It was great timing for it to hit the market and be available at titan reloading. I broke my 3d printed one while cleaning my homemade bullet lube out of it. This one showed up earlier this week and I put it on today and ran a quick 50 rounds through it. Works very well. For the $60 shipped if I need more in the future I think it's worth the little extra over the 3d printed ones. 

20230428_203940.jpg

That’s the first time I’ve seen a black powder set up on a progressive 

does it spill much with the full cases 

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen a black powder set up on a progressive 

does it spill much with the full cases 

You definitely can't just rip on the handle. Smooth and steady wins the race. Been looking at the FB group. There's a fellow that made a longer twist on the index rod which smooths out the operation. I might try it at some point but I don't fill the case all the way to the top. It's about ⅛" from the top and after seating the bullet there's about that much compression. It works well for me. I did the same on my load masters too. Just couldn't have the bullet feeder on it. 

9 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

You definitely can't just rip on the handle. Smooth and steady wins the race. Been looking at the FB group. There's a fellow that made a longer twist on the index rod which smooths out the operation. I might try it at some point but I don't fill the case all the way to the top. It's about ⅛" from the top and after seating the bullet there's about that much compression. It works well for me. I did the same on my load masters too. Just couldn't have the bullet feeder on it. 

The six stations are nice, I can see why people tend to like the eight station rcbs presses 

20 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The six stations are nice, I can see why people tend to like the eight station rcbs presses 

I almost went with the Lyman all American 8 but ultimately I wanted a progressive. Was fully stoked to find out about the pro6k. Despite the hiccups with it I'm going out on a limb and say it's the best lee progressive press to date. 

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I almost went with the Lyman all American 8 but ultimately I wanted a progressive. Was fully stoked to find out about the pro6k. Despite the hiccups with it I'm going out on a limb and say it's the best lee progressive press to date. 

Did you contact Lee about the Ram ? Or just put it back together and move on 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 9:29 PM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Good for you!

They often put me on bans for a few days at a time.  They have provided a good service for such an evil company.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:35 AM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Good for you!

They often put me on bans for a few days at a time.  They have provided a good service for such an evil company.

Lol I'm on a permanent restriction where all of my post and comments are moved to the bottom of the news feed 

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I only use the drum for dropping filler. I use the other style for powders. I would like larger hoppers for both types. 

There is this one, I bought one excellent quality and you pay for it. Isn’t the new powder bottles top supposed to screw on to a 1lb powder bottle? 
https://dramworx.com/lee/

I'm using mine at present, so here is the skinny. It's not to bad to set up, I took components for my turret press and moved it to the six pack. I have it equipped with bullet feed and case feeder. There is a alot going on to make sure you don't run out of primers, cases or bullets. The cases sometimes fall over when feeding which jams up the flow, also if you run out of primers the primer tool jams in the case and doesn't release. With that said if you really concentrate and stay slow you can run off 300 to 400 per hour with replenishing things. The weak link is the case feeder.

1 hour ago, Circuit Rider Jeff said:

The weak link is the case feeder

Getting it adjusted just right will eliminate a lot of that. Most of the time if I have one fall over it's the last case in the tube. There's a couple 3d printer guys that have a spring loaded door that completely eliminates the cases from tipping over. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived