SASS Wire Forum

Man electrocuted this morning

Rye Miles #13621

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The best safety training that I have ever put together was images of injuries and deaths from unsafe practices. You tell a guy “make sure you follow lock out tag out procedures or someone could be hurt or killed” and they will politely listen to your message but usually pay little attention and may grasp half of what you’re saying.
Show them a photo or video of a dead guy and photos of what power can do to limbs and organs and it sends a definite message and they hear every darn thing you are saying at that point. 
I also institute and strongly enforce a “two man rule” for all hazardous jobs and I rarely assigned friends to work together on hazardous jobs without also assigning another coworker. You would think friends would watch out for each other but often that is not the case if mistakes are made. They will cover for one another. I like to mix things up so that complacency doesn’t become habit and goofballs don’t have “friends” covering for them. I would write people up or cone down on them hard for safety screw ups. 
No one has ever been severely injured or killed working for me and I am proud of that. Now, I have had guys cut themselves or injure themselves in minor ways, but no debilitating or deadly incidents. Thank God. 

You are a man that I would have highly respected during my working days. I highly respect you now and, hell, I don't even know you. 

I was an Architect for Hospitals for 45 years. Seen or heard many a Darwin story. The one I remember most was a maintenance guy goes to the parking structure to try and determine why the breakers are tripping. He goes to the electrical room and sees water on the floor. He then sees water leaking out of the top of a 3" conduit that has sealant around the cables. So he decides to get his long bladed regular screwdriver out and poke down through the sealant. Apparently he got aggressive enough to penetrate the 480 volt cable. He's standing in water, he makes contact with the "copper" cable. His life ended right there.

And as is typical in my industry, everyone was sued for his lack of "brains".

Sometime God looks out for fools, idiots and somebody doing something stupid.

I was working on my sister's house last night, and the last thing I needed to do was hookup the temporary wiring for her kitchen lights.  A contraction had installed a new panel in the attic a while back and I have been try to clean up his mess so she can move from Illinois back to Texas. The contractor had installed a 200 amp panel with the main breaker on the bottom and the bare buss bar running up to the top of the panel. This made the bare buss bar staring me in the face on the metal chair i was sitting on. As normal, I turned off all the breakers, removed the panel, ran the wire ( old 2 wire romex) thru an open lb,  removed a beaker and installed the wire and plugged it back into the buss, and hooked the ground wire into the ground buss bar. All of this while only a couple inches from the main buss bar for installing breakers looking me in the face. I installed the panel back on the box, and then turned on the main breaker. When I turned it on, it did not feel right, so I turned it on and off a couple times. Then it occurred to me that the breaker was on and although I had shut off all the other breakers, I had just hooked the wiring on with the main breaker turned on with that live buss bar staring me in the face. I did not get a good feeling and I guess I am lucky since I always work on equipment as if the power is on whether it is off or on.  I use gloves when the power is on but I was not using them last night.

Trust me, I will be checking everything twice tonight when I get back up there and that gave me a wake up call.

I have been doing this for about 40 years about and have been shocked several times, but they were all minor occurrences and last night could have been deadly. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

also institute and strongly enforce a “two man rule” for all hazardous jobs and I rarely assigned friends to work together on hazardous jobs without also assigning another coworker. You would think friends would watch out for each other but often that is not the case if mistakes are made. They will cover for one another. I like to mix things up so that complacency doesn’t become habit and goofballs don’t have “friends” covering for them

This is a Great policy to have.  In an oh crap situation, common sense and even good training  is the first to leave the scene, especially with family and friends. 

Archived